Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Family cars

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hi pinion, May 23, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok, over the last 3 years with our family growing,, were going to need a good family car. I was leaning more towars the 4 runners myself, any sugestions? Were needing a suv probobly, with all the toyotas, nissans, and diahatsus,hundias ,runing around,,im getting a little confused. Whats a good family suv, something small, not a full size lol. I was thinking 90s something or other. Thanks!! :)

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My dad used to swear by 4 runners back in day. Now he drives fullsize stuff (mainly because of me) but when my sister and I were little he bought exclusively Toy pickups and SUV's.

EDIT: fordeater is quite right. They aren't made for big people. I'd have gotten a Toy for a trail rig but I'm 6'6" and feel like a sardine in one. I don't know how big you are but they can be very uncomfortable depending on your height and flexibility.

3. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my mother in law has a 4 runner. Its nice and all, but i'm too big for it. I'm 6'8 and its really not made for anybody that tall.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

So the runner is good then? I was going to skip the nissans all together . :)

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Friend has a Nissan Xterra. Nice little SUV type of vehicle, great family vehicle. They've had if for a few years, no problem with it that I know about.

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

my family used to have a chevy blazer s-10, a 99 burban and a 96 silverado.

now we have a 91 k5 blazer and 2 toyota 4 runners.

great cars, very dependable and they get good gas mileage.

they get stuck in the mud alot easyer tho...

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Get this....

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We have a Furd Expedition that has been great with 3 kids. I just bought a 2000 Furd Expolrer (got a great deal) to save a little on gas.

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Wanna buy a burb :whistle:

10. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Love my Suburban looked for somthing to replace it but found nothing the only thing that we kind of settled on was a Honda Oddesey fit the whole family DVD gas milage. We would still keep the Suburban as a third or forth vehicle. Things we like about the burb if we do a trip anything that we take fits, four women and me they bring lots of stuff. The milage is ok but when you compare the mid sizes don't get that much better. I like that the Suburban is a tried and true vehicle its not the next brand new SUV to come out on the market thats going to change the world and then is gone in a year.

11. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

I've had good luck with the Nissans, the xterra may be my next one. The pathfinders are supposed to be pretty good. Hard to go wrong with the Toyota or honda for reliability but the price is usually a little steep. Can't beat the warrenty on the new Hyundai's but heard that warrenty comes handy a little to often. :grin:

12. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You may have seen the before and after pics of our 4Runner.... It was an awesome vehicle!! As soon as we settle with the Insurance, save for a down payement etc we will be replacing it.

New or what year? What package? Get the v-8!!:cool1:

13. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

We've had a 95 Pathfinder for three years now. No probs at all, with just under 100,000 on the ticker. I had a Nissan truck 91 I think, that I took from 50,000 miles to 175,000 in two years. Never a problem, ran great, dependable, and easy to abuse. I'd take Nissan over Toy for a DD just becaue you get that same reliability, without paying for that Toyota emblem.

14. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

'01 or newer tahoe, they get 20+mpg on the highway and ride and drive really nice, have a ton of room and are pretty damn reliable.

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah, i thought nissan would be cheap and crappy lol, anyway, ive seen like 92 toyotas with re-built engines in the trader for around 4k, something like that would be ok. Im just confused on witch way to go, theres so many foreighn suvs out there. :)

16. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I've talked to people With the chevy trailblazer and they were pretty happy with it. I dont remember the numbers, but one guy was really happy with the 6 cylinder hp/tq. He said it towed pretty good and got good fuel mileage.
    :dunno:

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

i was thinking something in the 4k ish range ha ha ha :) something with FI and a rebuilt motor would do just fine. Just for my WIMMIN and children lol, and to save gas :D

18. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

My sister has an 01 4Runner. It's tiny and isn't any better on gas than my 97 Yukon. And my brick is faster than her ricer crap. Buuuut....her's doesn't knock like a 6.2.... :(

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

There must be something wrong with it mabey? I thought toys were supposed to run and run and run, get killer gas milage,like waaay better than the gm trucks, i dunno, thats why i posted this. :)

20. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

You can find mid90s Pathfinders for $4k-ish all over.