Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Family drama (anyone else?)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Dec 18, 2003.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

My sis-in-law called me in tears this morning. Seems my dad's wife has "uninvited" us (my brother and his family and myself) for Christmas Eve /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Why can't we just go along on our dysfunctional way thru the holidays like we do the rest of the year /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyone else?

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

That kinda blows. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My sis-in-law called me in tears this morning. Seems my dad's wife has "uninvited" us (my brother and his family and myself) for Christmas Eve /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Why can't we just go along on our dysfunctional way thru the holidays like we do the rest of the year /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wife and I both have disfunctional families. Years ago I 'Uninvited' myself from their Xmases, and them from ours. Now both Xgiving and Xmas are "Immediate Family Only" meaning the Wife, Kids, and yes, even the Beagles get a dinner plate!

Even before kids it was just the Wife and I and any single buddy that didn't have anywhere to go for the holidays. I have NEVER regretted it. To hell with them if they are gonna act like children and/or White Trash. (Which many of them are in my case... White Trash I'd rather not have Xmas with anyways...) (Side note- I came from White/Trailer Trash and worked hard to get away from that lifestyle/stigma, so I can make White/Trailer trash jokes!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

It was very difficult to tell my Mother, the only family member I'm still close to, that I was not coming for Xmas. But it was for the good of my family, and she got over it. If your family doesn't get over it, you don't want them in your life anyway.

Some people say that you can't choose your family. I beg to differ. They should get more effort because they're blood, but just like all other people, some of them will suck you dry if you let them, and no amount of effort on your part will fix a relationship with a family member that is not also working on the relationship.

For years, I have not had to worry about whose house to go to first on Xmas, worry about traveling over the holidays, try to hit 5 houses on Xmas day to keep everyone happy... My Wife and Kids get up and do Xmas by ourselves, and spend the day putting together toys while our In-Laws (on both sides) are having get-togethers, arguing, trying to out-spend each other, and driving all over creation to please everyone they can, and in the end they all end up exhausted and miserable. I have a nap mid-day and enjoy the day with MY family. Sometimes this includes a buddy of mine who isn't blood, but we consider his presence at our Xgiving table just blessed as any blood family member.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif But don't get me started on disfunctional families, or I'll write a long, babbling, soapbox reply!!! Ooops /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Too late!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Sincerely,
    Dr. Paul 'X'

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The best part is the "fun" in dys"fun"ctional. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Add another thing to the list to not get 350350 started on /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I can't really relate, plenty of drama and bull in our families but not dysfunctional, sorry to hear about that, sucks.

6. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The best part is the "fun" in dys"fun"ctional. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

An Expert like me... Can't believe I misspelled 'Dysfunctional'... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

That really sucks /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Holidays are when your suppose to spend time with the people you dont like /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

If it was a one sided decision by your dads wife then dad needs to fix that. If he agrees, spend a wonderful time with your Brother's family and remember, its "their" loss.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with the ones who love you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That really sucks /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Holidays are when your suppose to spend time with the people you dont like /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

If it was a one sided decision by your dads wife then dad needs to fix that. If he agrees, spend a wonderful time with your Brother's family and remember, its "their" loss.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with the ones who love you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I'm sure things will work themselves out. This has been going on for many many years, so something was bound to give eventually. I'm trying to look at this as an opportunity to make things better for all. Hopefully, it's not too late to try to have a good relationship with my dad again. As long as we are all willing to try, then I don't see why we can't put the past behind us where it belongs and move on from here. Hard to tell, but no matter what, I will be with my bro and his wife and kids for the holidays. My niece and nephews are so much fun this time of year. I dread the day they find out there is no such thing as you know who /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I dread the day they find out there is no such thing as you know who /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    HUH, since when, there can't be /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I remember your mom a little.. She was a fun lady.. Get her with you and Ken's family... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I remember your mom a little.. She was a fun lady.. Get her with you and Ken's family... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Do you mean MY Mom??? Are you my Dad??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I don't know why anybody wouldn't want you around.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifYour sexy , funny , nice and you got big boobs.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Add another thing to the list to not get 350350 started on /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I can't really relate, plenty of drama and bull in our families but not dysfunctional, sorry to hear about that, sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yeah, I get a little long-winded and wound up sometimes don't I??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i like fumes way of thinkin. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Cheryle kicks butt....plain and simple... and she has big boobs... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cheryle kicks butt....plain and simple... and she has big boobs... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And she has a secret............... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    And she has a secret...............

[/ QUOTE ]

big boobs.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    And she has a secret...............

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I'm telling ya she's got a secret and it's more than just big boobies

big boobs.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Did I mention she has big boobs... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif