Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Family Rollcage - Almost Done, pics at bottom

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Waxer, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

With all the ideas from the last "Family Roll Cage" post, I have incorporated a lot of them into my latest cage design.

I have started on it this weekend and although much isn't complete yet, you can see the beginnings of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pictures to follow as I make more progress. Time is rare these days...

Steven

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Re: New Family Rollcage beginnings - w/pictures

Damn Steve...thats nice, I should of came up to your place today as I just layed around the pool most of the day and did nothing on the K5.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

looks pretty sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Waxer

Thanks Tony, so you kicked back with a pool all day while I sweated like a pig in the sun? pffft /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Waxer

thanks dude....

I've got a lot to do still on it.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That looks awesome....i'm still trying to figure one out for my burb /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. sapper

once you get the design worked out are you thinking about selling them?

8. Waxer

If I were to do cages for anyone, they would have to be local and I have the truck or vehicle for a weekend.

There are just too many variances between vehicles to make a kit that'll fit right on every one. Especially with trail rigs that have had the body twisting every which way but loose /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. sapper

that makes sense, one day i will find someone around here who can bend me one, there probablly is someone around just waiting to use his tools and i dont know him yet /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I like it, looks a lot like my design. Simple split halo with b-hoop and a-pilar verticals. Nice clean lines too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

A couple of questions.

You planning on keeping the hard top? If not, have you considered using the front halo to protect the windshield? My halo has saved my windshield 3 times now and allowed me to drive out of a flop... Of course, mine precludes the use of doors too.

How are you tying in the back? I can't quite make out what is going on back there. Got a sketch of the over-all design?

How tying to the body/frame. I guess you know that I have some relatively unpopular opinions on how that should or should not be done. If you want to make some strong body tie-ins, let me know and I'll give you some info on what I've done so far for my son's. Most of the cage supports are in, though I've not started the cage yet. FWIW, his will look much like yours, except I've got to go under the half cab with the front halo. The rear will provide lines like the back of a Sub with provisions for a canvas/tarp/bikini type top and quick remove rear seat. His will also go through the dash to connect to the rebuilt front body mount supports (built for cage tie-in).

Any questions, feel free to ask and I'll offer anything I can. But, it will be up to you to sort out if it's right or not. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]
    You planning on keeping the hard top? If not, have you considered using the front halo to protect the windshield? My halo has saved my windshield 3 times now and allowed me to drive out of a flop... Of course, mine precludes the use of doors too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sold my top over a year ago and have no plans on buying another /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I thought about saving the windshield, but if it does go, that will give me the excuse to do the hinged idea I have like the Jeeps.

[ QUOTE ]
    How are you tying in the back? I can't quite make out what is going on back there. Got a sketch of the over-all design?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a sketch of how most of it will turn out. I'm doing some things differently, but for the most part it will look like this design of Mikes..

[​IMG]

[ QUOTE ]

How tying to the body/frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that is still in the works. What I have thought about so far is top plates bolting to bottom plates. 4 out of the 6 mounts are directly over the body/frame mounts or main body support beams. I'm still open to suggestions on this one tho.

Thanks for the feedback..

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Looking Good! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Hurry up! Los Coyotes is just around the corner. Also, Bothe Pismo and The Hammers are having runs on the 4th!

13. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]

I sold my top over a year ago and have no plans on buying another /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I thought about saving the windshield, but if it does go, that will give me the excuse to do the hinged idea I have like the Jeeps.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have been thinking the same thing. I’m actually considering hacking the whole thing off and starting over with a smaller, flat, fold down windshield. I’ve been saying since I built this POS that I would put in a flat fold down if the shield ever breaks. Unfortunately (??) the cage has worked almost too well in that respect. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Here's a sketch of how most of it will turn out. I'm doing some things differently, but for the most part it will look like this design of Mikes..

[/ QUOTE ]
    I still say (as I said before) that the “V” will work better and eliminate some of the purple lines. The center support in the top is just not that important IMO. However, those purple lines eliminate my concerns with the “A” design and, if you need a horizontal for the shoulder belts, it is pretty much a wash. I think it’s a good design.

[ QUOTE ]

Well that is still in the works. What I have thought about so far is top plates bolting to bottom plates. 4 out of the 6 mounts are directly over the body/frame mounts or main body support beams. I'm still open to suggestions on this one tho.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Take a look at this . Should give you an idea what I’m doing to my son’s, which, I think, is much like what you want. If you have any questions, feel free to ask…

14. Waxer

haha, I don't know how this happened. But look at your pic, and then look at mine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yours..
    [​IMG]

MINE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. BadDog

LOL! Proof that great minds think alike? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Or is it that we are both equally clueless? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

16. Waxer

heh, I'm leaning more toward the latter.

I actually did that about 2 years ago when my stock bed pan had failed on the passenger side and buckled the bed down.

I did pretty much what you did and cut out the old one, jacked up the downward leaning bed and welded in that rec tubing. I can't remember but I'm thinking its 3/16" wall.

17. BadDog

Same here (other than time span). The tail of his bed was rotted away, and I needed something to tie in the rear cage supports along with the perimiter "sliders" so, we added that bar back there, and it is 3/16 as well. He didn't want the K5 gate anyway, so we are building an expanded metal pickup gate using latches and hinges from mine. I also notched the sides (under the tail light housings) so that the square tube extends out 1.5" from the outer skin. That way, I can take 2x2 square tube and connect it to the wheel wells which will be formed of 1.75" roll bar tube. Basically, he will have 3/16 square tubing as a "perimiter bumper/slider" all the way around his K5, except for the wheel wells wich will have 0.125 round tube "flares"/edges for a cut out wheel opening.

18. Waxer

Man oh man, you mean a tailgate like this one? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BadDog

Oh man, you gotta be kidding... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

You know, it's kinda silly how close our various projects keep running. This has been going on for how long now, a year or more? I first built one of those for my truck about 15 years ago, definately the way to go for a nice light weight gate and it's easy due to the factory latch and cups. I built one using the factory latch, another with a "twist latch" off a camper that pulled on the factory wedge/pins. Also built one for a step side with twin spring loaded, home made pins inside a round tube top bar, but it took 2 hands to open. Looks great by the way...

20. Waxer

Yeah it is kinda funny.

Well I'm about to head out and do some errands and if time allows, do some more to the cage. Hopefully pics will be up tonight of the progress.