Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Family vacation is no longer an excusable absence...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 13, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

In our high school anyway. My mom was reading over the rules last night. They will no longer excuse it if you go away with family for a few days and submit a note to the fact. I used to just let them know like a week ahead of time, teachers would give you some work and that was that. Now it is an unexcusable absence. My sister has always had a bit of a problem with attendance, but at this point she MAY fail a few classes because of "vacations". She is a competition cheerleader on a really good team and travels all over the country competing(In Indiana right now). She will be pushing the attendance boundaries with competitions this year. And we have a trip to Hawaii planned in May I think. Just noting how dumb the schools are now. No longe acceptable to spend quality time with your family :rolleyes:

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Tell the school to butt the fock out,, and go to HW

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah and go to HI too:haha: :haha: :haha:

Just givin ya crap:D

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Find a Dr. who yu know, explain it and get a sick excuse.

5. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

That is so stupid I cant believe it ( but I do ). I could really go off on a old fart rant but I wont. It's just more B.S. for our P. C. world. F 'em.:confused: :mad:

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Hell, when I was sick, or didn't want to go to school, I called my teacher, told him, and went back to sleep. :dunno:

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Yet another example of systems in our society trying to limit abuse of the rules by the dishonest and therefore making life difficult and more miserable for those who are honest and do follow the rules.

I say it's time to have a parent talk with the school and explain that your family will be going on a vacation and it IS excusable because your family isn't going to just leave her behind.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

As a parent, when my children's school tries to come up with some stupid BS I don't agree with, I go down there and let them know that it it isn't going to work, and if they have a problem, bring it up to the school board, because I will. Works every time.

John

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thats the way it is here. Same with sports too, if your gone your absent no matter what.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats B.S......

I'd tell the principal if he thinks the kid will learn more at school those few days,than he would on a trip to Hawaii,then HE needs an excuse!--for being a complete moron!..

I've been lucky to have gone to Hawaii.once in 1984..I was already out of school for several years and working though...getting time off from work when you want it without a hassle is even more fun..just wait until "school" becomes work!..then tell me how much school sucks!..:rolleyes:

My trip there was more than educational..it was life altering!..I'd never been that far from home,only 600 miles to VA once when I was small was the farthest we'd ever been..when I was there,I saw..

Hula Girls..

Exotic Wildlife (birds,animals,etc..not the natives!)

Beautiful weather and scenery

VERY attractive women!(some of which asked me if I wanted to "go upstairs" for "20 Dolla??"..too bad my parents were 20 ft away..:( ..I wouldn't be a virgin still..:angry1: ..

And my first visit to a "tiddy" bar,and first time I saw 100% naked women..one danced on the bar,then slid down onto it,and picked up and flipped over several quarters with the labia on her vanina..(talk about muscle control!):eek1: ..then she danced a bit more,and then gyrated down onto a lemon that was on the bar..when she got up...the lemon was GONE!..:eek1: :haha: :bow:

I also met some real nice girls from other states,like Kansas,and California..in fact ,most of the people there were from somewhere else,and on vacation just like we were!..didn't meet but 1 or 2 "native" Hawianns..one was our van driver/tour guide..

I learned cars rot out faster in HA that MA!..lots of K-5's with holes and large bubbled areas that looked like cottage cheese..

Had a guy walk up to me in front of a hotel,and ask me if I wanny buy some "primo smoke"..and he held out an ounce of weed like you see in High Times magazine..I declined..again,my parents were only a few feet out of earshot,looking at a parrot or something..so close..yet ...so .....farrr..:tongue1:

We saw the U.S.S. Arizona,the monument,Diamond Head,Wakiki,etc..and tons of good food I'd never heard of before..

Got to fly on a few 747's and 707's, with my dad,who was in world war 2 ,and was a navigator..and LOVED airplanes and trains..the flights alone were quite an experience..especially the blizzard over the rockies,and turbulence we had to fly through..I was pooping bricks,and had the stewardess explain how the "barf" bags worked!..:doah:

It was not only a lot of fun..I LEARNED a LOT on that trip..SO..

Any school principal ,or whoever in charge of it isn't going to tell my I couldn't take MY kid on vacation,or that the kid being in school would learn more than a trip to somewhere like Hawaii ...I'd pull my kid out of their Nazi school and home school them if need be..they are taking our kids rights to a better learning experience away,if they get away with this..:mad:

This country,our states,and our own local officials are really getting more "bossy" all the time..one right at a time,they are de-nutting us.... you VILL sign ze papers..You WILL do as ve say... the sound of the "new world order"??..seems like they stay up late,thinking of what to take away from us next.

Privacy is already gone..even in a bathroom stall in public places,your never REALLY alone you know..95% of them have security cameras..and a guard watching you take a dump..now isn't THAT comforting??...:blush:

Not only was George Orwell right,1984 has been here 22 years now...:doah: :yikes:

11. cbbr

Its not typically the principle or even the school board, although both could use some common sense and may be to blame. It is normally state or federal regs attached to $$ that the school needs that mandate a certain number of days of attendence per year and define why an absense can be excused.

12. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I'm afraid I don't quite see what the big uproar is about?

Aren't the schools supposed to be teaching the kids? How can the children be taught if they aren't in school?

There are several studies out that document the degredation of the learning environment that is caused to the student who is taken out (for whatever reason) - and to the students who stay in the class. Plus the teacher has to spend extra time helping the student who leaves get up to speed on the material he or she missed while traveling.

With all of the holidays and summers etc. it really isn't that difficult to schedule vacations when the children are out of school.

I think this is part of the problem with public school systems today. People are outraged when their children aren't learning enough - but when the school tries to make changes that are proven to increase learning, the people are outraged that they are trying to break up the family.

Get a grip. If it is that important to take a vacation in the middle of the school year, deal with the consequences. If not, plan it when the kids are out like everyone else :rolleyes:.

If your child is so involved in something that they have to miss enough school to fail a class based on attendance, pull them from the public system and home school. Don't blame the public schools for all the woes of society (just some of them:wink1: ).

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

It is when you can't really afford a trip to Hawaii other than winning it in a silent auction with strict black out dates. And when Cheerleading season is during the school year.

I took many week long family vacations in my time in school and still managed to damn near ace standardized test and do quite well in classes(until I realized high school was taking ME nowhere and no longer cared). My sister is damn near a straight A student, she has a problem with migraines that prevents her from making it to school on time in frequently(anymore it is like once a month, shes getting older and learning to just work through that crap).

Like I said, when I was in High School(just a few years ago mind you), all I did was go to all my teachers and have them sign something noting I was going away and they were aware. They'd assign me homework for what I was going to miss(it is really funny how little gets taught in a week when they condense it into homework form), and off I went. Did my work, came back and wasn't behind the class and did just fine on tests. I know this wouldn't be the case for all students, but it just seems like a stupid rule to me. I mean, maybe one family vacation a year is excusable? And not some 2 week thing. When we went to Disney I had one teacher opposse my going but she begrudgingly signed and off I went.

Oh and I'd put money on the fact that my sister's competition cheerleading takes her farther in college than her grades, sad fact but I'd place money on it.

14. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it really is hard to make rules that apply to everyone. I was out for 4 weeks twice in high school and still had nearly straight As and got into the colleges I wanted.

I think the root of the deal is we don't want to spend the money necessary to create a school system that really caters to everyone's individual needs. Further we've seen so much abuse of the money that goes into the system that I don't think too many people care to give the educational system any more money.

So they come up with one-size-fits-some solutions that seem to help some, and not others.

I'm more concerned with attendance in grade school. In high school if you can keep your grades up, I don't think it matters as much.

In college most instructors could care less if you are there. Just turn in your work and pass the test.

15. cbbr

Worked for me. I don't know why they don't try college type scheduling in the upper grades of high school.

16. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Because public schools don't give a **** about the individual. It's all about the mighty STATISTIC, and how it affects funding. :angryfire:

Where the hell are you ****ting, the Pentagon?!? :haha:

17. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

My highschool pulled a bunch of that crap about the time I got into 10 grade, getting your license was unexcused, but the only time you can drive to get it was during the week. My rents told em I had a dentist appt. It was always classic when opening day for deer season, and every hunter was either sick or had appts. of some kind.

The thing that killed me the most was how they get all uptight about when some of us guys would try to get out of 8th hour study hall to go help our dads during Harvest. I mean we more or less sat in commons and didnt do anything for the 50 mins, and as soon as the bell ran we walked for the door and went straight to our farms, stupid if you ask me.

18. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

where exactly is "HA" again???:p: