Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fan bolt patten 6.5L same as 5.7?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rx7gslse, Nov 7, 2006.

1. rx7gslse

rx7gslse 1/2 ton status

ok, here's my question... In a continued quest to keep my truck cool and my a/c cranking... Do the 4 bolts holding the fan clutch to the water pump on an 89 350 (serpantine setup) match the 4 bolts for the sam eyear 6.5L TD fan clutch?

Reason being.. wondering if these Duramax fan adaptors meant for a 6.5L will work on mine...

http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/category_3_Cooling_Fan_Upgrade_Kits.html

not the cheapest solution.. but cheaper than a higher voltage alternator and proper aux elec fan setup.

TIA!

Eric

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure of the bolt pattern but I do know the diesel fan clutch is different than a gasser. I can't tell ya what the difference is either:o

Contact SSDiesel Supply, they are friendly and will be able to tell you the differences.

3. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

the boltpattern is the same. i've heard of guys using the dmax fan on the 6.5.

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Read it again. He doesn't want to put a Duramax Fan on a 6.5:doah:That's what his link is all about. He wants to put a Duramax Fan on a SBC 350!:D

5. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

missed that part. the smallblock has the same pattern also though.

6. rx7gslse

rx7gslse 1/2 ton status

got some parts in today to make this work..

FYI, the bolt pattern to mount a fan clutch to teh water pump for a 6.5L TD is about 2.25" whereas the bolt circle for the SBC is just a hair under 2"

FYI, TDs use a 3/4" pilot hole on the fan clutch vs the SBC 5/8" hole. Got some more work ahead of me still to make this work.... ;)

7. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I just installed a Taurus fan on my TJ a few weekends ago. If you wire it up correctly, there is no need for a high amp alternator at all. The relays do all the work as far as power supply to the fan. All you need is a signal from a toggle switch, temperature switch, or ignition switch of less than 5 amps. The signal will energize the coil in the relay(s) & pump the 30-60 amps of power to the fan motor. Here is a nice write-up for you.

And a few others
    http://www.creeperjeepers.org/Electric%20fan%20install%20in%20a%202.5L%20TJ.html
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/taurus/index.html
    http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/index.php
    http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3420588&Main=3406107
    http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=45442

HTH,
    Buddy

Edit - forgot to mention that the whole setup cost me under 100.00 total.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  8. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Buddy,

You are talking about an electric fan and his questions are about a water pump mounted fan.:D

9. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I know. :doah: Maybe I should've made it clear that the electric fan can be done correctly for less than what he's wanting to do.

Anyways,
    Buddy

10. rx7gslse

rx7gslse 1/2 ton status

possible to do yes... but most of those don't really pull that many CFMs.. and I need *more* CFM :)

It could be done with an aux fan, but I spend a lot of time idling waiting at customs, and the voltage barely keeps up with both a/c running, so an extra 30amp fan ain't gonna cut it..

Anyway, I finished up my mechanical fan setup today and it ROCKS!

Basic summary... Duramax fan from GMparts direct (like $40, but took d@mn near a month to get here...)

'Modified' fan clutch off a 96-98 6.5L diesel. They use the bolt on setup like ours rather than the thread of of the later trucks, but the bolt pattern is different to mount to the water pump..

Ended up getting new holes drilled to match the 1.93" bolt circle for our water pumps, as well as a reducer bearing to ensure that the pilot hole was still perfectly centered..

Anyway, got it all put together today, trimmed the fan shroud for clearance (wound up hitting down by the lower radiator hose, so it required some cuttin)

All seems to work well and good cruisin around today... I'll give it the real test tomorrow on my trip back in from Mexico (sitting for 15-45 minutes in traffic in 100+ weather does not keep a suburban happy)

So yeah.. That's how I got it to work.. Conventional? nope.. Functional? certainly :) All for about $200. (50 fan, $135 fan clutch, $15 misc bearings bolts etc..)

11. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

DFW to Mexico. That's some commute! What do you do South of the border?:D

12. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

In a suburban? Do you really have to ask? J/K
    Jimbo

13. rx7gslse

rx7gslse 1/2 ton status

heh... I actually live in WAY South TX pretty mcuh full time now.. My daily commute into Mexico is only about 30miles... But MAN do the roads suck. Just this morning I think I got airborn.. They put up a new 2' tall speedhump on a blind corner. WHEEE! Life is good.. especially in Sept time when the entire city floods once a week....

For work? I work for a US manufacturing firm.. I'm on 'assignment' for awhile to start up a group down here. We make fiber optic equip for high speed networks, mostly telecom stuff....

Man, I have some stories.. that's for sure...