Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fan clutch differances....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Dec 28, 2005.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

So I am at the boneyard today and picked up a clutch fan off a 1982 6.2 diesel because it was a monster 7 blade job, didn't think much about it until I got home and noticed that it has the larger big block mounting pattern.

I have a 1990 with full serpinteen (sp?) belt setup with the smaller mounting pattern, oh crap says me, then I think, maybe I can just get a different clutch and still use the large 7 blade factory fan, then I notice that the clutch mounts to the fan with a 6 bolt pattern deal.
    It has been a few years since I ran the stock fan clutch, but thought the 350 version clutch mounts to the fan with 4 bolts, oh crap again.

Is there a fan clutch application that mounts the clutch to the fan with a 6 bolt pattern and then mounts the clutch to the water pump with the smaller 4 bolt small block pattern?

P1010040.JPG

2. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Is your 90 a stock gas engine? If so, I'm pretty sure the fan blade is reverse rotation from the older 82.

3. CK5

Yeah, stock gas.

4. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

It won't work. Our 90's are reverse rotation and the rotate the "other" direction than the vehicle you pulled the fan off of.

Sorry,

Dan..

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

might be..

I don't know the answer to your question about the 7 blade fan and 6 bolt clutch availability for the small bolt pattern pumps...could be some factory wierdo setup like that is on something..???:dunno:

I have used the 7 blade HD fan on the small bolt patten fan clutches that were on my 6 bangers and small blocks..I got mine off of Chevy Impala's and Caprice's (old police cruisers)-with HD cooling and AC..I think they were "V" belt motors though,not serpentine..

I think a Caddy fan MIGHT work too,on the BBC and 6.2 bolt pattern water pumps....not sure,I got one off a 500 and I used it on my 454 in one of my trucks once....:crazy:

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

all serpentine setups use a reverse rotation water pump, which in turn means a reverse rotation fan.

7. CK5

OK, thanks guys, it's been over 5 years since I put a flex fan on and completly forgot about the reverse rotation fan. Now the problem is finding something that new in a junk yard.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If you go to autozone, they ask for the gearing of the truck when you buy a new clutch. I was thinking that the numerically lower gears turn the engine slower, so the clutch will engage faster. Not sure on this though. I bought the one for the 3.08 gearing even though I am 4.56 because IMO the more cooling, the better.

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive got 2 5 blade reverse rotation clutch fans in the garage that ill give ya if you want. just a couple dollars for shipping would be nice.

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

You shouldn't have a problem. Even our little junkyard up here in the north had one when I needed it. it was even already removed laying on the ground.

11. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

do you know if that 6.2 was in a 3/4 ton model? i ask b/c mine is only the 4 bolt pattern and doesn't have 7 blades. my buddy has two 6.2 motors, and neither of his are the way you describe either. all three are off 1/2 tons tho.