Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fan Clutch EDITED!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Nov 9, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

How do I change my fan clutch out? How much do new ones cost? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif SCROLL DOWN FOR EDIT AND QUESTIONS please.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Fan Clutch

They're not cheap- about $150 where I live.

The swap is cake. Some guys are convinced that you have to remove the shroud, but I did mine in about 15 minutes with the shroud still in. All you do is loosen of the front nuts and pull the sucker off, being careful not to pull the pulley and fan behind it off. If you pop the pulley off by accident you have about an hour job loosening brackets and restringing the belts. Then just bolt the new fan on.

Why are you swapping it out? Is it for sure broken?

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I changed mine out recently. If I can do it, anybody can.

I don't have a fan shroud on, so it's easy. But I did make the mistake of getting a new fan clutch without bringing the old one in with me. Turns out my clutch is a severe duty one, and NAPA didn't have it, had to go to pep girls. It was $50 or so. Different grade clutches have different bolt patterns. So i'd bring the old one in and match those holes up.

Then it's an easy bolt in. And there are clear instructions on or in the box.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If I can do it, anybody can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give yourself a little more credit, girlie-girl. Who's the one that gave me advice about building rafters for my shed?

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Yeah its loose. NAd a mechanic friend said to get it fixed before I go to Cali this week. He said it could break off and shoot threw my brand new radiator.

Ok so I went to NAPA and picked one up but before I went I called and got a price for it the guy said it was 39.99. When I get there the girl says it ius 115.99. SO I said that the guy quoted me a different price she goes back and asks the guy and then comes up and gets the 39.99 one to me but now Im not sure if it is the right one I havent taken mine off yet Ill do that tommrowo but can you tell me form the part number if it is the right one for my truck with a 305 and ac and auto? If so the napa part number is 771305 and the fan clutch has thermo written on it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can easily tell the difference bewteen the standard fan clutch and the heavy duty one. The standard one is MUCH thinner. The heavy duty one will be at least an inch thicker from front to back, and costs considerably more than the standard one. Also look at the new one closely for a rotation arrow. Make sure it's designed to go in the same direction as your old one. They're only designed to work in one direction. Serpentine belt setups require a reverse rotation clutch, whie the old V-belt-only setups use a standard rotation clutch.

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Paul - Why, thank you handsome man! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Harry, Mine turned out to be "severe duty", instead of "heavy duty". The fins were the same thickness as heavy duty, but the bolt pattern was different. At least they didn't pull one out that said "howdy duty".

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    At least they didn't pull one out that said "howdy duty".

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif