Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fan clutch question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Jul 31, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I just bought a serpentine belt setup from a guy who was parting out a 91' suburban and I'll be putting everything together this weekend. However he didn't send me the fan nor the clutch because it took up too much space and would have costed too much to ship, so I'll need to buy my own clutch and fan. I've also canned the flex-fan idea after reading some previous CK5 posts. So I'm looking at the Flex-a-lite fan clutches as well as the Autozone clutches which are about $20 cheaper. Are the flexalites worth the extra money or will the autozone clutch do fine? I'll probably also get the Flex-a-lite fan from summit and should I go with an 18" or 19" diameter fan? thanks.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

How 'bout going with the Ford 3.8L electric fan? If ya find one in the junkyard, probably be cheaper than getting the new fan and clutch.

3. BayouBlazer88

Nah, I don't feel like messing with all the electric fan stuff. Might install it in the future though.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just installed a flex-a-lite heavy duty thermal fan clutch with the stock fan and it seems to work good. It stays locked in most of the time and the reasons for that in my opinion is because its the heavy duty one, plus the 100+ california heat with a modified 406SBC, 3core radiator, and the a/c going. I would recommend it over the autozone one because none of the cheap part stores can compete with a performance oriented company like flex-a-lite. Much better quality.

85K5,3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds,big horse 406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. BayouBlazer88

The only problem with flexalite heavy duty clutch is that it costs 80 bucks. And I have never had anything close to an overheating problem with the stock fan and clutch. So I'm thinking the autozone clutch would be ok. Autozone also sells a heavy duty thermal clutch for $50 as well as the stock replacement for $30. What's the big difference between the two and is the heavy duty thermal really necessary. Keep in mind I only drive about 10 miles a day and it has yet to go offroad.

6. rjfguitar

It's up to you on what you can afford. Flexalite makes a few other clutches that are much cheaper, it's just the heavy duty one that is 72 bucks shipped to your door from summit. They have a standard duty thermal for about 35 or 40 and a non thermal for even less. Guarranteed that the flexalites will last much longer than a cheap autozone clutch. Cheap clutches can wear out fast. anyway you probably don't need a HD clutch with a stock motor and you don't tow in the hills and/or in hot weather. Goodluck.

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds,big horse 406 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifSBC/700r4

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just make sure the autozone clutch you are talking about is both thermal and viscuous. (coil on the front) There are cheap ones out there that do not have the coil.

8. BayouBlazer88

After some online searching I realized that both reverse and standard rotation fans use the same clutch. I looked on my old clutch which is a Delco clutch and is marked "HD" which I'm assuming means heavy duty. So for now I'll just buy a new fan and use my old clutch until it wears out and then buy a nice flexalite clutch. Thanks for the help though.

9. rjfguitar

Why can't you just turn your old fan around? Then it will pull with the serpintine system.

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. BayouBlazer88

No you can't do that. If you did, you would be pushing air into the radiator and since this a "pulling" fan, you would have an overheating problem.

11. rjfguitar

correct me if I'm wrong but don't the serpintine systems turn the oposite direction of the older style v-belt, thus turning the fan would make it pull with a serpintine system.
    I know the factory late model serpintines spin in the oppostie direction of the old style. If your serpintine kit spins the same direction as it did before than what is the problem, the fan bolts to the clutch, you said the old clutch will still work right? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. BayouBlazer88

serpentine water pumps spin counter clockwise as you face the front of the truck. So NO, the fan will not work by just putting it on backwards. Beleive me, this has been boggling my mind for the past few days so I finally took apart a small desk fan and proved the point to myself with that.