Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fan clutch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by johnathan, Nov 25, 2005.

1. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

I was under the hood the other day routine checks.I was watching the fan as i reved it up and i did'nt notice any change in the fan speed.I know the the fan is not supposed to change speed rapidly with the engine speed but eventually.It seemsd to never change speed. Whats a good way to check the fan clutch? and if bad whats the best way to go.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

kinda hard to tell really, unless you know what type it is, it could be a thermal clutch, those come in when it senses a certain amount of heat coming through the radiator,,

let it idle for awhile, if it is a thermal, you should be able to actually hear it coming in and the fan will pull more air.

3. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

it's an 84 blazer if that helps

4. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

in the summer the temp climbs rapidly at low speeds have to be movin along pain in the a$$. hard to wheel.I suspect the fan clutch cuz everything else is new

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Replace it with either a HD , or an actual delco one . Mine went bad this year , and it was one year older than yours . Thats saying something for the oem one :D

6. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you do a lot of deep water crossings go with electric.i killed 3 fan clutches this summer in water crossings.most of the time was when i was in 4-5 ft of water.

7. dubbyx

dubbyx Registered Member

hand test?

I thought on the mechanical fan clutches you could test them by hand. It was my understanding that when they went bad, they'd go to full lockup.

Turn off the engine, open the hood, and try and spin the fan by hand. If it turns, you're still okay. If it doesn't, then the clutch is bad and you've only got the one speed.

At least that's what the old timers tell me.