Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fan distance from radiator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Nov 23, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Looking for opinions here. Since I put the big block in my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif my fan is roughly 5-6" (closer to 6) from the radiator. The radiator is a 3 core but I'm getting a new 4 core this week. I already have a 2" spacer but I still need to get a fan shroud too. With the current setup it runs about 195 with a 190 thermostat..might get up to 200 just sitting. I know the 4 core will put it about an inch closer to the fan and I'm pretty sure the fan shroud will help a lot too..if I can find one.
    Thought??
    What's your spacing from the rad?

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

When I put my big block in my full size, I had the same experience. The factory big block shrouds are a couple of inches shorter (mostly in the lip around the fan). Right now my fan is only about 2 inches from the radiator and it works better then ever.

3. big pappa b

OK...so how did you get it closer?? and what shroud are you using?

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I have a factory clutch fan. I moved the core support when I put the S-Blazer body on the fullsize frame.

5. big pappa b

[ QUOTE ]
    When I put my big block in my full size, I had the same experience. The factory big block shrouds are a couple of inches shorter (mostly in the lip around the fan).

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the small block shrouds bigger?? Deeper??

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get yourself an electric fan for aux. cooling and forget about it. I doubt you could ever make it over heat with both.

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I don't think distance matters as long as it is shrouded correctly. The factory shroud on my truck is probably 15" deep because the engine sits so far back against the firewall.

I would suggest getting the deepest shroud you can and then maybe going with fan clutch. They are alot deeper than the spacers. You can always fab up an extension to bring the shroud around the fan. Have you ever seen shroud on a 3rd Gen Camaro with V6? Those shrouds are way deep. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif