Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fan selector problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1TUFF89, Dec 8, 2002.

1. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

I realize there was a similar question asked a few weeks ago by doing a search, but I'm stuck. My problem is my fan switch on my dash, whether on low or high, will not allow the fan to blow air out. I replaced the blower motor a while back, and just replaced the fan switch last week but still nothing. I know I have heat because I can feel it coming out the vent, but I can't get the fan to blow it out. I went and bought a relay, but can't seem to find where the relay goes. There is no relay near my blower motor (that I can see). I'm stuck. Does anyone know where the relay is or what could be the problem? My blazer is an 89 with a 350.

Thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm curious if you've done any diagnostics, first off, is the fan actually running, just no air actually blowing into the cab?

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The heater resistor(fan speed thingy) is located on the top of the heater box, the heater relay is mounted to the side of the heater box under the resistor, and the thermostatic switch(if applicable) is located under the heater relay. Hope this helps.

4. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
    I had the same problem with mine. It would only blow when the fan was set too high. I put a new fan in and it did the same thing. Replaced the relay and S*#T the same problem. Come to find out the contacts in the plug that hooks up to the relay where corroded. After a little cleaning and some die-electric(sp?) grease all is fine. I just wish I had taken the time to check the simple things instead of throwing money at it. Oh, follow the wire off the bottom of the fan. The purple one(color may be different) goes to the plug and relay. then there is a ground attached to the top of the fan housing. Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Bryan