Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fan shroud fabrication??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Jul 19, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Well I have two electric fans by Perma Cool. I have the same set up as BobK, but without a shroud. My questions is what is better, to make a big shroud that outlines the radiator, or just the fans themselves like on BobK's <a target="_blank" href=http://members6.clubphoto.com/bob391592/Install_of_dual_electric_fans_on_my_71_Blazer>members6.clubphoto.com/bob391592/Install_of_dual_electric_fans_on_my_71_Blazer</a> Is his method the best possible way to make the fans cool to there maximum potential? I asked him and he hasnt really tested it in extremes yet so we both agreed to ask you guys? Any suggestions are welcome And if anyone else has pics I'd like to see them as well. I just want the fans to pull at their full potential and if Bobs way is it then that would be great cause it looks bad @ss and I would have something to go by. Thanks

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

While that piece of fabrication looks awesome and so far he has had no problems, the one thing I do see that might give problems (I'm not expert, never tested a setup like this) is the only part of the radiator that has complete flow is where the fans are. There's a lot of the back side of the rad that is blocked by the shroud and this in my opinion would block off air flow resulting in hot spots of the rad and maybe possible overheating. That's just my educated opinion. I would really like to know if there are any problems or is this system is working great to prove me wrong.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

That was my exact thinking!! But like you, I am no expert, so thats why I want to find out what is the best way to do it. But then again on the factory shrouds with the cluth fan the shrouds kind of suck in towards the fan too, I just dont know. I think one way and then get another idea of why the other would be better. Oh well, someone has to know!

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

well there does seem to be 1/2" space between the flat spots of the shroud and that will NOT prevent air from being sucked in by the fans, tho they could have more spacing to allow better flow. Perhaps an inch or two, then I'd be happy running it. Still tho you cant compete with the stock setup. I've just reinstalled my stock setup from the exact same elec setup, and the air flow cant be competed with using the stock.

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I don't know if this will help but here is what I did:
    My truck had two elec. fans on the inside of the rad and thats it. The guy that had it before me could not figure out what to do with the 4" body lift and the stock set up. I didn't like relying on elec. only and do not use the AC so I took out the condenser coil in front of the rad., mounted the two elec. fans there. Bought a new fan shroud, clutch and fan. Because of the lift, I took peices of 2x2 alum. channel and some straight and made up a 4" bracket to go between the shroud peices to widen them by 4" (my lift). This way I still have the stock set up and additional fans if it gets hot (never has) and they look cool when I crank up the motor. Some spotters said I should loose the fans because it made them loose there thought when spotting (too busy watching the fans..hehe) If this sounds like something you would like, let me know and I'll take some pictures. good luck.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    There is just over 3/4" of space between the shroud and rad.I think your right,I should have made the distance between the rad and shroud a little bigger.Like I say...live and learn.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.zing.com/picture/p8947726813026de684f60e0bd6f3fbfe/fe8f5839.jpg>http://www.zing.com/picture/p8947726813026de684f60e0bd6f3fbfe/fe8f5839.jpg</a>

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

4" body lift? Don't ever come to Illinois, that'd be illegal!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

shouldnt the thermostats for kicking the fans on be on the cold side of the rad?
    as the fans dont control engine temp but are responsible for kicking in when the airflow through the rad is insufficient to cool the coolant. 1 thermostat should have been sufficient unless you were staging the fans, but as they draw from a common plenum what would prevent airflow coming back through the idled fan rather then through the rad.

your sheetmetal skills look great i am envious.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Okie dokie, can't tell from the pics. Have you had any problems yet? By the way, It looks way sharp, good job.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

10. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Don't worry, I won't
    4" body lift, motor for off road use only, no emissions.
    Hell they won't even like my tires I bet. Dam Commies[​IMG]

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....