Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fan Shroud fit for 17 x 28 1/4 x 2 5/8" radiator? (with a small rant)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skigirl, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Fan Shroud fit for 17 x 28 1/4 x 2 5/8\" radiator? (with a small rant)

I have a 4 core radiator that measures 17" x 28 1/4" x 2 5/8" (core measurement) in my 76 K5.

1) Anyone have a part number or know what stock truck would have a shroud that would fit mine??

2) Anyone have shroud measurements mounting hole to mounting hole and total height?

3) Beyond ensuring that the shround mounting holes will line up with my radiator support holes and fit in the clips at the bottom, is there any other measurement I need to consider to ensure that the shroud will fit well?

Thanks everybody.

Here's the rant part:

I call LMC, whose customer service can't tell me which of their shrouds would fit, although they also stock the size radiator I have (on the facing catalog page). They say I should order one of the few they have listed, then they'll hold the order and find out which one would fit.

So I order one and I ask customer service to ask the tech guys which one would actually fit and I give the radiator size.

I call back the next day, they haven't found out yet. They ask me to call the next day (today). OK, so I do. All the tech guys are gone, but Customer Service got an answer: "They said no, it wouldn't fit". NOT WHAT I ASKED, thank you very much. So I ask what size would fit? "I don't know" "Who should I ask?" "Well, anyone who would know is gone until Monday". Gee. No kidding. Thanks alot. *#&!!%$!&!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Re: Fan Shroud fit for 17 x 28 1/4 x 2 5/8\" radiator? (with a small rant)

hi, how are you going about measuring the radiator ? are you measuring complete overall size of the radiator with tanks or minus tank and including just the core part of the rad ? most shrouds fit just inside the area of the tanks and up to the top retainer plate and down to the shelf of the rad support- 73-80 anyways on the latter, i did have a factory 4 core shroud that would probably have fit, but i got rid of it already, hmm.. but i do have the radiator and a coupel others that i could use to test fit soem shrouds i have around here to see if would work.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Randy - I took the measurements the way the LMC catalog specs their radiators, which is measuring the core part only. I also measured the overall height from the bottom of the clip to the holes in the panel on top of the core, and that's about 19".

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Depends if you want the one piece or two piece.

One piece - Part# 32-2840
    Two piece - Upper Part# 32-2860
    Lower Part# 32-2855

Follow this by the fact it states that the size radiator you have is for a 350...so you go over to your year truck and look for a 350. Those are the two I came up with... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pam, I have a shroud that should fit for your rad. My truck had the same size rad except it was a 3 row rad which should have no affect on shroud fitment. I'll be going out to the old 'batcave' tomorrow afternoon and I could measure the mounting holes if you want.

Rene

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Matt,

yea, I debated on both those types. I (obviously wrongly) went with PN32-2865 and 2870 as my truck (a 350) has auto trans and AC. PN 2855 and 2865 were for no AC. But I don't know whay that mattered anyway. I didn't go with the 1 piece as I thought the 2 piece would be easier to install.

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hey Rene! I'd love it! If it wouldn't be too much trouble, that'd be great. If it fits I'll buy it off ya. I got the AC fixed but without a shroud and 100 degree temps, the engine will get hotter than I'd like. We hit 100 yesterday and will be a little hotter today. Probably pretty darn pleasant up your way.

8. tRustyK5

The shroud isn't perfect, but it is still good. Due to the ORD 1" body lift I had, I had to slightly clearance the bottom of the shroud. I'll measure exactly how much I removed so you have a better idea. At any rate if it will fit and you still want it you can have it for whatever shipping costs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Great! But I'll still pay ya for it, just used, not new price OK? Getting it boxed and to someplace to ship alone is a PITA. Your time is worth something too, along with the shroud.

10. tRustyK5

Let's take this to PM's Pam.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene