Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fan Shroud Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77blazin, Oct 15, 2002.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Does anyone have a body lift that indirects the fan shroud to a different location (2" lower that the radiator) to cause and overheating problem?
    I bought a new shroud for my 78 that has a 2" body lift and looks like the fan shroud will have to be lowered to align with the fan which may cause a overheating problem with the radiator.
    I need some assistance here or some advise on how to modify the fan shroud so the heating problem does not accur.
    Michael W. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Mount the shroud in the stock position but cut the lower lip off of the shroud to allow the fan to drop. If you drop the entire shroud you'll create an opening along the bottom, this will let the fan draw air from under the rad instead of through it.

If you don't already have one try using a OE 7 blade fan with a heavy duty fan clutch, this will also help prevent over heating. I have a 2" body lift on my 80 K10 and I'm using the 7 blade fan with a monster fan clutch and *knock on wood* I never have over heating problems (BTW - I don't have a fan shroud).

3. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Hymmmm, interesting concept, the fan shroud is two pieces, I was thinking of putting spacers between the upper and lower fan shroud made of fiberglass.
    If you say the radiator won't overheat without a fan shroud, I'll take your word for it and try it, I hope this example of spacers work if I have a overheating problem.
    Thanks for your reply
    Michael /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Keep the shroud! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I have a 4" body lift with a split shroud and just like you said, make up a spacer (2") for between them. This will open up the hole to the fan but still keep it cool. I used 2" alum angle & 1-1/2" flat plate to make mine and it works sweet. No overheating even in Moab at 105F. I can take pictures if you need.
    Keep the shroud or go to electric fans.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I think I worded it wrong, I didn't mean to say the shroud wasn't needed - it definitely has a purpose. I just meant that if the rest of your cooling system was over built (7 blade fan, severe duty fan clutch, 4 core rad) you most likely could run without it and not have overheating problems. If your cooling system doesn't have the parts listed above DON'T TAKE IT OFF.

If you do simply space the lower half down be sure to close the opening you'll create below the radiator. This new opening can cause the fan to draw air from under the rad instead of through it.