Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fan Shroud w/ Body Lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Jul 20, 2000.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Hi all - My recently purchased '83 Jimmy has 3" body lift on it by a previous owner. He ended up trimming the bottom of the fan shroud so that the fan would clear it, and the fan now sits 2-3 inches lower than the shroud opening. Anyone know of a better way to have a body lift and keep the normal fan to shroud alignment? I may have go with an electric fan, but don't know if one will work in the cold Alaskan winters up here.

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska

2. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I ran into this problem all of the time when I worked at an accessories shop. A more elegant solution is to lower the fan shroud the same amount that you have a body lift. Just take some strap and drill holes that are equi-distant to your body-lift (3" apart for a 3" body lift) away from each other and then you have a drop-down bracket for you fan-shroud. You might also contact a body lift manufacturer and see if they would send you a set of the ones they have in their kits. It would be worth you're phone call instead of having to fab-up the straps.

Hope this helps,

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Go to http://www.rockcrawler.com. They just had an article on a 3" body lift install. I didn't read it all, but I know they were addressing the fan shroud. Relocating the shroud is one way to get it to line back up, but when you lower it a lot, you're pushing air under the radiator not all of it going through the radiator. One reason I'm not a fan of body lifts.

Try the site though.

Kyle
    89K5

4. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Use a spacer between the two halfs so the shroud becomes one piece again. My coolant temperature has remained the same even with the lower half off.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

5. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

The best way to deal with the shroud is take out the body lift and put in a suspension lift. That is, unless you are running huge meats like 44s or something and you have to have the body lift.

6. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Beefcake, you should "try" to fabricate some type of full fan shroud, for sure. If you know how to weld, you could prolly piece together a pretty good one from sheet metal. If not the fabricator type, you should buy an OEM shroud from the j-yard and move it down 3" to match your fan's position. Then you should cover the "D" shaped opening at the bottom of the shroud where it sits below the radiator so the fan sucks more air through the radiator and not under it.

Andy

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

7. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have the lower portion of my shroud trimmed and have no problem with it this way. It seems to work just fine. Are you having over heating problems??? It has been avout 104 every day for 2 weeks now and it works ok in my rig.

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII being installed

8. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status