Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fan....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXBIGFISH, Jan 14, 2002.

1. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about changing over to an electric fan and ditching the belt driven fan. It seems like I have seen somewhere here that you can use the fan out of a late model T-Bird, if so how about the connections? How/ where do they hook up to? I was just looking to tap the emense knowledge based here at K5. Thanks

<*)))><

81" GMC Jimmy, 4" lift and a shackle flip, and 35's!

IT'S A DOG EAT DOG WORLD OUT THERE, AND I'M WEARING "MILK BONE" UNDERWEAR!!!!!!!!

2. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I tried using "two" electric fans side by side and soon learned that electric "fans" do not pull as much air as one mechanical fan does. Plus they were a significant drain on my charging system and interfered with my York OBA setup ...but thats another story.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can hook up any fan you'd like, but certain fans will work better than others. IIRC, the T-bird fan was a 2 speed setup, which sounds pretty cool, if it can move enough air to work with a good sized motor, in a heavy truck.

You can always go aftermarket, but a fan off of another vehicle in a wrecking yard will probably be cheaper. At worst you might have to make some brackets to hold a fan or two, but thats not hard either. The stock fan DOES move a lot of air, as noted already, but I'd bet the stock fan at idle doesn't move more than a decent sized electric fan turned on....an idling stock fan doesn't turn very fast : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

True...the mechanical fan doesn't move very much air at idle and the coolant isn't being circulated very fast either.

As I said before...I used two electric fans in an attempt to free up some HP and MPG...nada...although the 500 cui Caddy did get real warm while pulling the horse trailer through town and up the mountains. I switched back to mechanical and the junkyard was nice enough to exchange the fans for something I really needed. Just my experience.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

This is another of what I call the 'religious posts' cause they get the gang riled up (usually) [​IMG].

I run a stock '90 IROC electric fan in a shroud in front of a 4 core radiator on a 406 SB with NO problems (actually between the motor and the radiator for clarification). It is actuated by a sensor probe in the top of the radiator between the fins. I have no idea what CFM the fan pulls.

All that means is it works for me. Low speed air movement for a crawler/wheeler is a bonus with the electric.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I run the t-bird fan on my Firebird. No problems here in the middle of the summer.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Naaah...get upset over something as trivial as this. Just thought I'd share 'my' experience(by no means absolute) Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Freedom of choice is what makes America great. By the way...I probably could have made the fans work, but I'm a tight on cash(laid off) and opted to put the money towards my 14FF rear disk conversion.

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I ran a duelfan in back and 2 in front of the a/c condesnser. still got hot when on the trail in 100 days went to one belt drive cluch fan run cool all the time.

72 Blazer 400TPI NV4500 NP203/205, 6 bolt FF14
    01 Suburban 8100 2500 4X4

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Yea you cant run pusher and puller fans at the same time. They fit agaisnt each other and cause it to overheat. I went the t-bird fan brcause I decided on an electric water pump.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I ran two 14" electric fans on my truck for about 3 years. They did great w/ every day driving but were only adequate (at best) when 4 wheeling. I had the same problem with too much amp draw. After a day of wheeling and running the fans, an MSD ignition and occaisionally using the winch my battery was usually shot, not enough excess current to recharge it.

I've now switched to a mechanical fan and clutch assembly and no longer experience any of the old problems, my junk runs cool no matter what I'm doing! The trick with the mechanical fan is getting the correct application. Use '83 K30 Dually 4x4 w/ 4.56 gears, stick to this application all the way to the gear ratio - IT IS DIFFERENT. The fan has 7 blades and the clutch is ALOT bigger than the average one. The parts guy will look at you funny, but there is an exception for the gear ratio, don't give up.

John
    80 K10 w/ a LOUD 468 / hard hitting 400 / nothing but a 205 / a D60, nuff said / a trusty C14 / riding on 12" and 44,s
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I have no problems with my mechanical either. I'm surprised you couldn't get electrics to work, but heck, the stock clutch fans are excellent. I love mine, but am going to ditch it because I'm going TPI, and I might as well modernize the engine bay : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

12. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

In answer to the question how they hook up....I have a 2 speed late model ford fan and it has a special wiring harness that hooks up to it. However spade terminals will plug right in too! Just run one to a ground and one to the high or low side ( I ran mine on high just because). I bought a thermostat switch at the autoparts store for $15 bucks and a relay cause I used a pusher too and it works great.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got one of those 7-blade monsters laying on the garage floor, complete with the super fan clutch. But it's for a standard rotation water pump. I need to find one for a reverse rotation setup.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...