Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fans & Clutch fans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Aug 7, 2003.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

When I install my 402 in place of my 350, I was thinking of installing double electric fans instead of stock fan. This brought up the following questions:

1 - Do I place the electric fans directly on the radiator, eliminating the stock shroud? (I think so.)

2 - SInce I am not using the stock fan, do I still need the clutch fan?

3 - What does the clutch fan actually do?

Thanks to all who attempt to educate me!!

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

1. Yes

2. No

3. The clutch engages the fan when cooling is required. Usually when the engine is hot. If the temperature sensed by the clutches thermal sensor is low enough, the clutch will disengage allowing the fan to kinda "free-wheel". For instance, when your traveling down the freeway the airflow thru the radiator is usually sufficient that the fan is not needed so the clutch disengages. Suppose to save power and fuel. Make sure you get some high-flow electric fans. A fairly common mod is using the 95 ford winstar fans if you have a 33" wide radiator. Perma-cool has come out with some new ones also.

How clutch fans work
    Engine fan info

3. Snarly

Snarly Registered Member

I have a 454 in a K5 with an aluminum 4-core radiator. Off-road it runs extremely hot because there's not enough speed to generate flow through the radiator. I've tried everything and the only solution is a dual 15 inch flex-fan in its own shroud. Install behind the radiator and throw out the engine fan. I be cool now.

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks, guys for the replies. I believe my is 33x19, so I'll look into the dual setup. I was looking at some aftermarket ones, but thery are tyoo big to fit two and I new one wouldn't be enough.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Two other options ive seen....
    1. using a small fan (Taurus or permacool single fan) mounted inside the existing fan shroud. So you have your basic fan setup and an electric fan for the additional cooling when needed.

2. If going to a single electric fan, the Ford Mark-8 fan is a single fan and pulls about 5000CFM. Its pretty loud but pulls a ton of air.

If going to electric fans, make sure the alternator can pull the additional load, you might need to upgrade the alternator.