Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Farkin glow plugs-

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I've been having some problems with my glow plug system for a few months now- It doesnt like the ambient temperatures around 50-70, and the glow plug light wont light up. usually after 30 seconds of cranking, the light would come up. Right now, im kinda stuck, seeing as how the truck wont start up without the glow.

Before I totally kill the battery, I recalled t-rusty posting this:
    I installed a momentary push button so they can't accidentally be left on, and use the seat belt light as a 'timer'. It stays on roughly 8 seconds...which is fine with a cold engine down to 50 degrees or so. Much colder and I let em glow for another 2-5 seconds. You get a feel for it pretty quick. When the engine is even remotely warm I don't bother using the GP's.

If you want to do the manual switch just find and trace the little blue wire to the controller at the back of the motor. Cut the little blue wire about 6" away from the controller and pull it back out of the harness. Pull the wire through the firewall somewhere and attach the blue wire to one side of your switch. Attach a ground wire to the other side of the switch.

Now when the key is turned to the 'run' position if you push the button the GP's will come on (with the glow light) until you decide they're warm enough...and they won't cycle for the hell of it when the truck is warm.

Ok, Right now its dark so i cant see squat. im assuming there is some blue wire somewhere, going back to the glow plug controller. Question is, how is 6" enough to pull back into the cab? Also is there any other way to Track the wire, other than being blue?

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ive actually got mine wired up differently, i have a momentary push button switch that overrides the temp. inhibit switch. When i turn the key to the "on" position, the plugs will cycle normally if the engine is completely cold. Once the normal cycle ends, i push the momentary button and hold for between 5 and 10 seconds, depending on how cold it is. And if its somewhat warm but the plugs dont cycle normally, i can just hit the button and override it. If you want i can get pics of how mine is wired up tommarow. I would have to go look at it to remember exactly how i wired it, i did it quite a while ago.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

That would be awesome- Please send some pics please!!!!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The controller is at the back of the motor, so if you cut the blue wire 6" from the controller and pull it back through the harness you'll have about three feet of wire you can re-route into the cab. Make sense?

Joez way also sounds good. My way is completely manual.

Rene

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I looked closely, I dont have a blue wire!

This is the same glow plug controller I have. I guess I just didnt know it was my controller. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [​IMG]

So I can only assume that one of the two terminal posts is where the "blue" wire should be.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hmmm, beats the hell out of me /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rene

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Are you saying you dont have one of these doodads?