Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

farwell to another big block, and pics of a blown 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Jan 27, 2004.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

The 454 is out and a nasty, dirty 350 is in, funny though because I just found another 454 block. I guess I just put in a 350 so I can pic up the new 454 block on friday with the blazer /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif 1 day motor swaps are too fun for words to describe /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is the 350 I blew a couple of months ago... going down the free way and BOOM, an hour later a tow truck arived and I had the motor ready to swap out already /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

Maby after I get the new big block in I'll get at least a few months before another motor swap /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Something tells me that you do entirely too many motor swaps. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Thats a lovely vented oil pan you have there. Did you pick up that hi-po mod from a ricer? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Better luck with your next motor endevour!

Kris

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I bet not having inner fenders helped. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. supersize75

For the next motor...

I'll start the betting at... 4 months befor it goes /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. supersize75

you bet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I can take out my motor mount bolts while standing and with the headers on still /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

body lift also helped with the 6 tranny bolts /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

And I get fun of for my yearly motor swaps. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I think I could do motor swaps in about 3 hours if I didn't have to deal with AC.

7. supersize75

my ac is nice, I get up to about 50 and she blows real good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I actually spent almoast 600 to 700 bucks during the resto for all new ac parts...then decided I didn't want the top or doors to ever be on, so I just made a plate for the firewall /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'll just have new ac for the next 73-75 I get /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

So.. for the record... how many motors have you pulled out and put in the Blazer. (as of now) We all know the number could double in a month or so. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    Technical Information ·HP: 720 @ 6250 RPM ·Torque: 685 Ft. Lbs. @ 4500 RPM ·Compression Ratio: 12:1 ·Bore: 4.560” ·Stroke: 4.375” ·Block: Bowtie Tall Deck with One-piece rear seal ·Crankshaft: Forged 4340 Steel ·Connecting Rods: Forged 4340 Steel, H-Beam style, Shot peened ·Pistons: Forged aluminum with full floating wrist pin ·Piston Rings: Plasma-moly rings ·Camshaft: Mechanical roller (.714” / .714” lift) (266 / 274 duration @ .050”) ·Lifters: Mechanical Roller tappet ·Cylinder Heads: Aluminum Rectangular Port with a 118cc combustion chamber ·Intake Valves: 2.25” Stainless Steel ·Exhaust Valves: 1.88” Stainless Steel ·Valve Springs: Dual spring (1.567” diameter) ·Spring Retainers: Hardened chromemoly steel ·Rocker Arms: Aluminum Roller Rockers, 1.7:1 ratio ·Push Rods: High Performance (1-piece) ·Windage Tray: All new Screened and Louvered design

Quit screwin around and put one of these in. It even comes with a warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. supersize75

so far...

pulled out original 350, 71,000 original miles, ran great /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

then swaped in 396 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

then swaped in a 350 I got from another member, also this really helped me out because the 396 was to crazy too pass emmissions and I was not up for a cam swap. He even was cool enough to spend time on it and set the timming and made me a good deal on it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

then swaped in the 454 after I blew the 350 while going down the free way to finally get rid of the 396 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

then the 454 started loosing its grunt and sticky lifters, so I swap in a cheap 454 I got out of the paper, motor had a rod knock so I pulled it. "atleast I got some heads and new accessories with it" /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So I get my 454 back from storage then I replace some internals, ad a new intake,105 amp alternator, water pump, ps pump, starter, freezplugs and a flywheel, rebuild the MSD distibutor, holly truck avenger and all new gaskets..then motors goes boom
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

sooo then yesterday I pull the 454 "again" and swap in a 350 I got from a friend who owed me some bling-bling and today I will go test her out after slapping some cheap headers on.

then friday of this week I am going to go pick up another 454 block, have it checked and then get out a mail order catolog and go postal /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

well thats the plan, or I could just get the for mention motor and call it a day /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Motor swaps would be fun if it wasn't for all the little exspense's that add up /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]
    Technical Information ·HP: 720 @ 6250 RPM ·Torque: 685 Ft. Lbs. @ 4500 RPM ·Compression Ratio: 12:1 ·Bore: 4.560” ·Stroke: 4.375” ·Block: Bowtie Tall Deck with One-piece rear seal ·Crankshaft: Forged 4340 Steel ·Connecting Rods: Forged 4340 Steel, H-Beam style, Shot peened ·Pistons: Forged aluminum with full floating wrist pin ·Piston Rings: Plasma-moly rings ·Camshaft: Mechanical roller (.714” / .714” lift) (266 / 274 duration @ .050”) ·Lifters: Mechanical Roller tappet ·Cylinder Heads: Aluminum Rectangular Port with a 118cc combustion chamber ·Intake Valves: 2.25” Stainless Steel ·Exhaust Valves: 1.88” Stainless Steel ·Valve Springs: Dual spring (1.567” diameter) ·Spring Retainers: Hardened chromemoly steel ·Rocker Arms: Aluminum Roller Rockers, 1.7:1 ratio ·Push Rods: High Performance (1-piece) ·Windage Tray: All new Screened and Louvered design

Quit screwin around and put one of these in. It even comes with a warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Except for no one can find 572s for sale and that version is an alcohol motor /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    For the next motor...

I'll start the betting at... 4 months befor it goes

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, remember to take your daily chill pill and do this. First of all, fire your engine builder. If it's you, fire youself. Second, keep your foot off the skinny pedal as much. The way you are building your rig, I would assume you might consider it a "Rockcrawler" or "Trail Rig". If you want something to go drive like a fool, then go buy a new FROD Mustang or something.

I mean, listen to your posts above. It sounds idiotic. "I Blow Motors". It's not making you popular. Take that chill pill.

Im just nice enough to point out Captain Obvious here. I guess others just ignore this stuff. But, Im starting to feel sorry for your Parents here Man.

Lay off the "Bwaaadammm Bwaaadammm" of the throttle. You DONT NEED A BIG BLOCK. They ARENT COOL in a rockcrawler. Put a tried and true TBI smallblock in and be Done. Lay off the THROTTLE and take that CHILL PILL. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I'm laughing, so laugh with me.

Hang around me and I'll get you whipped into a Riteous Dude. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

13. supersize75

I was just joking about the 4 months, I am reqally trying to back off the gas.

The parents don't really care as long as it is not thier money I am wasting, I pay my way and they get to laugh when I goof up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I will just enjoy this for now while I am young, this whole killing my truck thing is why I want another full top so bad, I am trying to find one that I can make nice "and keep it that way"

chill pill was taken about two weeks ago, thae way I see it is this is my bad habbit, some people drink, some do crack..but I choose my chevy everytime /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I have thought about a crate 350 too, but that is an option after I have another full top, for now I want displacement /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

15. supersize75

ahhh I could throgh in 30 more used motors for that much /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

but you get what you pay for, and for that much I would just build another k5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah and you could build a better motor for less, though can't get the warranty thing going. Surprised they finally have them.

17. supersize75

[​IMG]

this is when I drove the parents crazy..whn I took up the garage. I did pay for my dads cars to be in storage though for over 2 years so he never got to bent about it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

his nexxt project is his 68 Camaro..should be fun to work on a car for once /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Got enough motors sitting around for him!

19. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    is why I want another full top so bad,

[/ QUOTE ]
    I know of a sweet mid to late '80's (Full convertable is done) k-5 that for sell. Go behind Desert Rat (Rual and I-60{SE corner}).... I think his name is Chuck (cann't remember) It's a real eye cather of a truck....

20. supersize75

I am looking for 2000 or less, unless I find some amazing deal. I already plan on all new fenders, motor, axels ect.. so I want a cheaper one /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

oh and I just got done pulling the 350 out that I just installed, skrew that /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

thing is NASTY pulled valve covers and wanted to cry, I dont trust it for a minute. Soooo tonight I am going to go look at another 454, or give up and get a 350 crate /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

or what about autozone... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif