Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fascinating article on media bias

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shaggy, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

2. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

very interesting. being a journalism major, i see this stuff all day in classes. In fact, the session that just ended, we did a piece on spinning stories, and this is very simular.

good find.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There really is no such thing as media without bias. Most Americans are so indoctrinated and conditioned to American media that they perceive it as neutral, and do not recognize the sometimes subtle bias it containes, until they are exposed to a foreign media such as the BBC newscasts, Frances TF1 Broadcast news, or Al-Jazeerah. Since most Americans have not been exposed to much foreign media, it is only then that the bias, which is contained in all media, is glaringly obvious to them.

In America our media call the Jordanians that fight against Israeli's or blow them up "terrorists", but the rest of the worlds media refers to them as "Freedom Fighters". The American press refers to the war in Iraq and Afghanistan as "the war on terrorism", but the rest of the world's media refers to it as "the war of imperialism".

The reason for American media bias toward liberals is because people of European Jewish decent control American media, and left wing politicians support Israel more than the Conservatives do, thus leading to the bias. I am sure there will be someone that is Jewish read this and get offended because Jewish people do not like people discussing their financial interests, so they put on the offended front to shut people up.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There really is no such thing as media without bias. Most Americans are so indoctrinated and conditioned to American media that they perceive it as neutral, and do not recognize the sometimes subtle bias it containes, until they are exposed to a foreign media such as the BBC newscasts, Frances TF1 Broadcast news, or Al-Jazeerah. Since most Americans have not been exposed to much foreign media, it is only then that the bias, which is contained in all media, is glaringly obvious to them.

In America our media call the Jordanians that fight against Israeli's or blow them up "terrorists", but the rest of the worlds media refers to them as "Freedom Fighters". The American press refers to the war in Iraq and Afghanistan as "the war on terrorism", but the rest of the world's media refers to it as "the war of imperialism".

[/ QUOTE ]

In the two months I was in Italy, two of the few English-speaking TV channels we got were CNN International and BBC World. While they weren't exactly flowing with praise for the American war on terrorism, I never once heard it called "the war of imperialism". I also never heard the Palestinians that constantly fight against the Israelis referred to as "Freedom Fighters" on CNNI or BBCW. They were referred to as "suicide bombers" or "Palestinian rebels".
    The reporting on CNNI and BBCW definitely seemed to be reporting, rather than the judgement and/or condemnation that's sometimes glaringly obvious in the American news media.