Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fast daily driver? ideas please

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by sled_dog, Aug 10, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm going to sell my 95 k2500 now and I am trying to think what I want next. I was thinking an 80s Monte Carlo SS would be nice, pick one up for a grand and build a nice 350 or 383 and go rip some ricers apart. I wanted to build a TBI truck but that would probably be a waste of time and money.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Corvette!!! You can get a late 70's early 80's Corvette for around 5 grand. I paid $1,300.00 for my 81 with out a motor-n-transmission. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

does it have to be a GM? or will anything do? first gen DSM-see eclipses are pretty cheap and can be made wicked fast for little $$, gsx, which is a turbo awd or talon tsi awd which is turbo awd..bigger turbo, port the intake, full exhaust and intercooler/boost controller and 2600# clutch makes a high 11 second car

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nevermind guys I thought about it and realized I still have my K5. I am gonna put my money and the next 3 months(I lost my license) into that thing. Hell yeah I will ahve the K5 I should have built a year ago! I'm really hyped about this idea.

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

my DD is bigger,faster, and meaner than my K5. its an 84 1 ton p/u. but its pretty much my DD and show truck. but it does have 500 hp and 5.13 gears. but lets not talk about gas milage.

i think it would b cool just to build up an old chevelle or camaro and work on it whenever u get the time. just take ur time and build it up so its how u want it. usually u can get em for pretty cheap if ya know where to look. just my idea....but one way or another....go big block /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

NITRO

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have the 69 firebird so if I do anything like that thats whats gonna get touched. For now I need a driver and I want the K5 back. Gonna clean it up and make it really nice and comfortable interior wise with lots of sound deadening, new seat, new carpet. 4" lift and 33" TSL Radials, new bumpers, cowl hood, and a new grill and some motor work and she is set.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    33" TSL Radials

[/ QUOTE ] I would think for a Daily Driver that these would be cheaper and last longer then Swampers for street usage.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Actually it will most likely get 33 or 35" MT/Rs. I doubt some offbrand tires will wear very well.

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

offbrand tires tend to be HARD...like denmans..

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah but I don't want hard tires, it will be a daily driver and the coming months and year look like they are going to be very hard ones so money will be tight but I will just deal MT/Rs are my best route I think.

11. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Hey street trucks are way cool! ive got an 88 stepside 2wd that i plan on lowering 3/4 and installing 17's. I have all the parts to throw a TBI 383 together except for a chip and injectors. id say stick with the truck for the cool factor. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

SY-TY

Syclone or Typhoon, if I had the cash that would be my FAST DD!

13. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

LS1 camaro or firebird

14. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Yugo. Definitely a yugo! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I personally like trucks. Maybe a S10 with a 350, or even a stout 4.3L. A late model Chevy fullsize with a mild drop looks good and can easily be made into a runner. Check Hotchkis or Belltech for suspension. Good stuff.

Kris

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Why does it have too be a new(er) car ??? I'm telling ya, a late 70's/early 80's Corvette is the way to go. You can get them for under $10,000.00 and build a screaming small block for it and still have less $$ into it then you would for a new car. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well ok first off I'm selling my 95 pickup cause it cost too much so a vette, ty, sy, or any other late model performance vehicle is out of the question. And I'm going back to my K5. its quicker than the 95, hopefully its quicker yet when sitting on 37s with 4.10 gearing. I know thats not optimal gearing but I am running 32s with 2.73s and the 37/4.10 setup buys me like 600 more rpms at 65 in fourth gear so thats pretty darn good in my book.

17. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Get a newer S10 2wd with the Vortec 4.3 V6 my dad has one and it will stand up to a Camaro for awhile. Good bang for the buck. Cuts out at 95 though /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

18. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

GMC Typhoon....nuf said...

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    does it have to be a GM? or will anything do? first gen DSM-see eclipses are pretty cheap and can be made wicked fast for little $$, gsx, which is a turbo awd or talon tsi awd which is turbo awd..bigger turbo, port the intake, full exhaust and intercooler/boost controller and 2600# clutch makes a high 11 second car

[/ QUOTE ] I HATE IMPORTS!!!!!!! People put flashy paint, funky rims, Top Fueler Rear spoiler(on a front wheel drive car, what a joke) and a noisy buzzing muffler, when actual performance is way overlooked. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif You want something fast make sure it's got more than 4 or 6 cylinders. No factory (asian)import will ever be as fast as a factory high performance model muscle car of the 60's,70's.

--------------------
    85K5,3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers, 16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I HATE IMPORTS!!!!!!! People put flashy paint, funky rims, Top Fueler Rear spoiler(on a front wheel drive car, what a joke) and a noisy buzzing muffler, when actual performance is way overlooked. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif You want something fast make sure it's got more than 4 or 6 cylinders. No factory (asian)import will ever be as fast as a factory high performance model muscle car of the 60's,70's.

[/ QUOTE ] As much as I love the 60's and early 70's US muscle cars, you have too admitt the limitation. They are great for strait line racing, but they don't corner for sh!t. I personally will never own a ricer fart muffler mobile, but I have seen some that are fast, not quick, but fast. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif