Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fast idle stuck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ironnut, Sep 30, 2004.

1. ironnut

ironnut Registered Member

Im having trouble with my fast idle sticking on my quadrajet. Makes it tougher to stop and also turn off the engine cause it diesels sometimes when i turn the key off. Anyone got any suggestions? Ive tried wiggling it, spaying it with wd-40. nothings helped, only thing that works is if i wiggle the heat riser on the manifold while engines running to make it idle at normal speed. Thanks

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Your choke is not opening all the way for some reason.

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

shut it down in gear... just a temporary solution to the dieseling

4. ironnut

ironnut Registered Member

thats what ive been doing to prevent it from dieseling.

5. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

Get the engine to full operating temp, and verify that the choke plate gets vertical. Is it a heat-tube choke, with a pipe running down into the manifold or is it an electric choke? The electrics are powered up through an oil pressure sensor behind the manifold. If this fails or passes marginal power it won't heat the choke spring enough. (I once bought a truck cheap because it 'needed a new carb at least' when in fact the choke fuse was blown) The choke stat itself may also be weak. To test the choke stat, run a jumper wire straight from battery positive to the stat terminal. If the choke gets vertical, it's the O.P. sensor. Replace it. If it doesn't help, get a factory service manual so you understand the method for adjusting the choke (The manual is less expensive than the choke stat) If adjustment fails, replace the choke stat.
    Eric