Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fast Idle

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by painterbccc, Dec 30, 2005.

1. painterbccc

painterbccc Registered Member

I need a little help on a S-10 with 2.8 TBI motor. What I got is a 1990 S-10 that was a 4 cyl from factory.It caught fire then they put a 2.8 TBI motor in it. Then they pulled motor out. My son bought it and we put a 2.8 TBI motor in it. Got it running.What I need help with is the fast idle. Don't these things have a cold start sensor or something? It starts good cold, but when it warms up you have to pull the wires off of the throttle body so it will quit getting fuel, then it will start. This is just a woods truck. All I really want to do is get it where it will idle. And start back after it is warm. If there is a way to make it idle I'll put a swich in it so you can turn fuel off tot start this thing back. Like I said its a woods truck. It doesn't have to be perfect.

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Do you have any idea what ECM is being used? If the 4 cylinder ECM is in there, that could be screwing things up. I would start first with putting a scan tool on it. Information from a scan tool will tell you many things, but I would first look at the temperature sender for the ECM (if it were to read cold all of the time, idle would be high, and fuel mixture would be real rich). Make sure it is connected, and remember that there are two- one for the guage/light on the dash, and another for the ECM. Do you have any kind of service manual for the S10?

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

BTW, what part on TN?