Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fast track advice

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mdstmpr, May 27, 2002.

1. mdstmpr

mdstmpr Registered Member

I'm going to be receiving my top on Wednesday, does anyone have any advice on what to do or not to do when installing. I just got done reading the horror stories about the stitching. I think I’m to get it doubled up before even trying to install. But I would appreciate any other help. It's going on a 72 Jimmy.

2. Racefreak

Racefreak Registered Member

Everyone seems to agree that the top needs to be warmed in the sun first. Warming it makes the material easier to stretch. There is a post below regarding putting the stitching under the channel. Sounds logical to me. Post your report when you are finished! I'm TORN (bad pun) about getting one!

3. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

I was also 'torn' between gettin a fast or a snap. I finally decided to go with the snap, i actually think it looks sportier, and the only thing i'll prob have to deal with is the snaps breaking, and the excessive drilling. But i got it from a place that still had Kayline's in the box, so hopefully it will be of better qualitiy then the STC's. But yea, as far as advice goes: If your not planning on putting the hard top on right away, you should probally put silicone in the holes for the screws into the body (prevent rusting). and of course, measure and double measure like a mad man!

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Well let us in on who still has Kaylines and how much they want for them?

5. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

My man, definitely get it double stitched. I would do it where the rails attach and where the windows and zippers hook-up.

Good luck,
    I hope yours works out better than mine. I just ripped mine off and put it in the closet.

Chris M

6. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

Im actually getting it from a guy on ck5, when i remember his name ill post it, who got it from www.TheJeep.com. they may still have kaylines. Forgive the name of the website, they carry all STC and Kayline Products.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Might Check with Turner 4wd in Roswell. They were a big K-Line dealers and are a big STC dealer. Might have some old stock.