Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fastener help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Dec 8, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Where do you guys buy your fasteners. The only place around here that I know of are Lowes and Home Depot. Their selection sucks and I do not think their prices are that good. I am looking for 9/16X5 Grade 8 for all of my leaf spring bolts as well as pinch style lock nuts. Also do I need to use washers between the bolt head and the nuts?

Thanks

Ira

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hey Ira,
    Go with 9/16x5 gade 8 w/ nylock nuts and you'll be good to go. It's a good idea to use washers too.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

There is a place over by the MCRD entrance in SD. We used to buy all sorts of bolts and nuts there.

We were in there one time and they even had a box of "Certified Sub Safe" hardware. Paperwork and all!!!! The ones that get torqued to 11'ty billion Lb/Ft and keep the ocean out of your cereal:haha::haha:

I can't remember the name of it, but it is over by the ASW Base/Airport/MCRD area. If i remember the name i will post up

5. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Fastenal usally has what I'm looking for. Here is one close to you.

Store Code: ELCA 435 W. Bradley Ave Suite B EL CAJON, CA 92020 caelc@stores.fastenal.com Phone: (619)442-8892 Fax: (619)444-8893

Eric Brown

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Hey that is like 2 blocks from my place. Guess I should get out and learn the Neighborhood. I have only lived in these house for 4 years.:D

Ira

7. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I have to go to Napa for grade 8 stuff here. So far they're the only place in town I've been able to find that carries it.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

we have the good hardware stores and fastnall. but i tend to go to a local guy. his store is nuthing but nuts/bolts/washers/and supplys. better instock selection than fastnall. look in the yellow pages under fasners for the local guys.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

screwed

Never heard of fast'n'all? McMaster-Carr in Santa Fe Springs, catalog on the net. There is also a very large hardware emporium in Orange County, don't know the city 'cept maybe Anaheim, just off the 91 called McFadden-Dale, I think. Went in there once, it was a Disneyland for freaks like us.:D

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is kewl and all but it is a 2 hour drive 1 way just to buy some bolts. With the gas I would use I could just get the bolts from Lowes. Fastenal is literally 2 blocks from my front door. I could walk there if I wasnt a lazy fat ass.:D

Ira