Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Faster surfing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Apr 12, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Holy crap I'm surfing fast now!

I have a firewall between my home network and the internet/router. It has an option to block web sites, either by custom list or by a subscription to a downloadable list. I always thought it a cool feature but never bothered.

But, I've been having this weird IE popup problem lately that I can't seem to root out. It seems after a certain interval of page loads, a popup ad will appear. I know it's on my machine cause it happens no matter what site I'm hitting at the time.

So I started tracing down where the popups were getting the ads by what internet server's my computer had recent sessions with, and blocking those domain names at the firewall.

So far, I haven't had a popup yet, and the machine seems to be forkin' FLYIN' on the net. I know there's still a hook on my machine or something, but for now, we might be able to let the kids go back on PBSkids.org without fear of a random popup for handcuffs and enhanced love making popping up (no kidding, some wierd stuff was coming up and got worse as I blocked more and more).

Firewalls kick arse!

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

where did u get the firewall software? Whats it called?

lmk
    NIck

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The root of your problem is spyware. Download Spybot and clean up your computer. It should clear up that popup problem for good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Nope, couldn't find it. I thought the same thing at first, wife downloaded something, or the kids clicked yes on the gator install prompt or something.

There was an .exe running for a while that was some kind of deep adware, that I killed before I ran any syware killers. Pup.exe was running, I'd never heard of it, and in it's version notes was "werule", which I thought odd version info for a legit file, so I killed the process. Every time I killed it, it came back. I was even able to delete the file, kill the process, and it restarted itself again. So, I'm sure the file it was really running from is still on my system somewhere...
    So I researched pup and killed what I could find related to it, but this one wierd popup problem never went away. I can't find ANYTHING in the registry about it, but I'm also at a loss as to where to look for Internet Exploder hooks, so I may not be looking in the right places (can't seem to find a lot of M$ documents on it either).

So, the spyware suggestion is great, and it was the first thing I went for when I noticed something going on. I dunno why, it's not been able to find this little pain in the arse.

The firewall is a hardware device, not software. It's a Webramp 700S, running some better firmware designed for a slightly different (name) device. I got it for $40 on ebay after shipping, it was brand new in packaging (but still a couple years old).
    I would highly recommend it to anyone, even if you just upgrade the firmware (very easy), change the admin password, and set it up without changing any defaults.

It's got a TON of features that made me buy it. I've only tapped into a few, though. I used a very similar device to protect my first T1 to my old job years ago, it ran about $1000 then, and rocked...

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Here's the same firewall I have, although mine was base/stock, I did the upgrading myself. Not worth the price difference in my opinion to have someone else do it;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3706&item=3091551452&rd=1

The one I have is a great unit, but there may be better ones out there for that price.
    Like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51168&item=3091439988&rd=1 Which I'm thinking looks pretty nice to me right now...

Man, I feel nerdy now... I should go outside without a jacket and work on something...

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Man, I feel nerdy now... I should go outside without a jacket and work on something...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring a beer and cuss a lot too, then say 3 'hail K5's' and you'll be absolved my son. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

and get some chewing tobacco too.

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

and curse alot in random sequence(is that possible?) /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring a beer and cuss a lot too, then say 3 'hail K5's' and you'll be absolved my son. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    and get some chewing tobacco too.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    and curse alot in random sequence(is that possible?)

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

There we go. Shania can kiss my butt. Man, I feel like a man.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

May wan't to try running a different browser too, less suceptible to crap like that

I run Firefox, and love it

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Every browser is susceptible to something if your kids click "yes"...

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Not that anyone's been hangin on the edge of your seat, but I found this nasty little mofo...

It installed 03/12/04 around 10am, via hyperlink sent to my wife from her sister.

I don't often patch my machines on the home network (being behind a firewall, not terribly worried, eventually get around to it), so I'm just assuming this used an IE exploit to install itself. She said she remembers the computer getting really slow after she clicked the link, and doesn't remember what she clicked from the web page it opened...

On a side note, I keep getting emails "re: Question for ebay seller" that contain a link with some nasty exploit code on the page when you open it (no I didn't open it on a production machine, I opened it on a hardened/MZ'd machine to see what would happen).

13. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Webramp 700S

[​IMG]

Speed is good! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    On a side note, I keep getting emails ... that contain a link with some nasty exploit code ... (no I didn't open it on a production machine, I opened it on a hardened/MZ'd machine to see what would happen).

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, you are sounding a nerdy now... you should go outside without a jacket and work on something...

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, you are sounding a nerdy now... you should go outside without a jacket and work on something...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif