Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fasttrack 3 window top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevBlazin, May 22, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I've seen the specialty top fasttrack tops for 76- 91 blazers with the 5 windows, but now I see they make the same top with three windows (no rear corner ones). What do the 3 window tops look like? I have not seen a pic, or do they look like the snap top? I kind of like the 5 window one except it looks like a pain to open the tailgate with the side pieces overlapping the gate so far.

2. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

hey Man, I ordered three window fast trackk top and they sent me a 5 window top. So I still cant help you as to what it looks like. However my understanding is that it looks like the snap top.I will say that its really not hard to open the tailgate with those side peices, I only notice them when i am shutting the gate becuase i have to make sure they are out of the way before i slame the gate. I am pretty happy with the 5 window top. But if I had it to do over again I think I may have just ordered the snap top. I dont think they should call it the fast track, i think they should call it the slow track becasu i am conviced that if a summer storm were blowing through i would have the top on and the windows all sealed and shut just in time for the sun to come back out... i have no experaince with the snap top, but i would think it would be faster to do the snaps than it is to tug and pull the fabric enough to get in into those channles... just my two cents. Read all you can about these tops before you order one. i think they are pretty good tops for the money, significantly cheaper than say a can back. but some people feel that they are not verry high qauility as they should be... There is a post on the 69 to 72 page about them, check that out.
    Ike
    ike

3. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i just ordered mine today 3 window with the tints.....i hope that i get what i ordered

4. ChevBlazin

Do you know how the snap tops attatch? Do they also have metal channels that bolt to the bed rails and the rear cab and that metal has the snaps in it? You don't have to drill a bunch of holes in the bed sides like the bestop do you? And lastly and probably most importantly, do they seal out water and wind good, especially around the cab?

5. 86blazerk5

Well, I could be wrong becuase I have never seen a snap top up close. but from a verry good picture i have seen i am under the impression that the snap top uses channles with the snaps on them that you must screw down to the bed rails and the cab. I do not think it utilizes factory bolt holes. However, it is stil far beter than drilling individual holes for every snap. the fast track deisgn uses factory holes on the bed rails, but not the cab so there is some drilling there. Both require tail gate driling. As far as sealing goes. If you install it exactly as the driections say. It will leak. The directions make it sould like the rails will fit perfctly over the cab. The truth is, you must put silicone between the cab and the channel weather your top uses snaps, or the fast track. If you dont it will leak. if you do, it wont. Its no big deal to do though. i did it on mine.
    Ike

6. ChevBlazin

thanks for the info, If these are supposed to be more durable maybe I will get a snap top instead. I wonder if water can get between the snaps where it mounts though?

7. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

I have both a snap and a fastrack top. I recentley switched to the fasttrack top,, both are very water tight. I like the fasttrack top better because when I flexed out the snap top would always pop the snaps.

8. 86blazerk5

Hey Denver, just becuase i am curiouse. When a strom rolls through and you have to get the tops up qiuck form the full down and widows out postion. Which one takes less time. the snaop or the fast track. Also, how longs does it take you?
    Ike

9. denver75k5

The snap top was quite a bit faster to take down than the fasttrack.

10. denver75k5

Oh ys, it took about 5 min. to put up the snap one.

11. 86blazerk5

Thats what I thought, thats why I have renamed it the Slow Track!!!
    Ike