Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FAT BURNING: Today's Cardio experiment....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Greg72, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

This is a follow-on to the BMI/Body Fat % thread from a few days ago:

Today as an experiment, I ran for one hour (like always) instead of striving for a 9-minute mile pace, I only ran based on my heart rate. I tried to keep my heartrate at 135-140 instead of 170-180. Amazingly, I can breathe a lot better at the slower pace! [/duh] I started off at a 13.5 minute pace, but had to keep cutting it down until it was something in excess of 15 min/miles.

The low-end of the Fat Burning scale on the treadmill is 111 for my age, and the high end of the Cardio Scale is 152....so I tried to stay as close to the middle of that range at possible.

An interesting surprise was that I was just as drenched with sweat as I usually am at the "fast" pace of 9 min/mile, even though my breathing was quite relaxed and the pace was downright snail-like.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get more benefit this way, given that I am limited to 1-hour on the treadmill regardless of pace..... but I figure I'll try it for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The amount of fat that you burn vs. carbs etc will be greater at the slower speed because your body fuels itself differently in an aerobic state (enough oxygen) than in an anerobic state (not enough oxygen) or so goes the theory. You may burn fewer calories, but more of them should be from fat.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i say screw cardio and start lifting more. bigger muscles burn more calories. stop worrying about your heart rate. do enough cardio to get the blood flowing, lift, then cool down with some cardio. (i say less than 20 minutes.) i used to be in the same boat as you till i started lifting. cardio wears out your joints, while lifting actually makes your bones bigger/stronger and same for the tendons/ligaments.

just my .02

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree. I started lifting and limited my cardio somewhat. I have never felt better and I feel better when I start riding in the spring.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I wish my back could handle running, I miss it, I need to get a pool and burn off my fat ass...:doah:

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ah, to be young again.... (as you must be)

I used to be able to only lift weights....but now, I must also do cardio to keep the weight off.

I like lifting a lot more than running....though I have to admit that putting some "Angry Music" on the iPod helps to get me through.

Danzig and Brand New Sin were my friends today...also a little Soundgarden

:thumb:

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Be careful with this route- remember, everything in moderation. If you go for power lifting, it'll blow your joints/muscles/tendons/ligaments far faster than cardio!