Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fat coolant leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FlatBlackBurb, May 3, 2007.

1. FlatBlackBurb

FlatBlackBurb 1/2 ton status

okay so when i got my truck i noticed that it was running kind of hot. (my temp gauge only says C & H and it was between half and hot) and so i get out and figure out theres a low level of coolant in the radiator. stick some in and the truck runs a lot cooler. once i park it, the coolant starts dripping out really fast almost pouring out from who knows where i think its a radiator hose or something but it leaks fast and i can go through a whole can of peak 50/50 coolant in two days. i put that alumaseal stop leak in there and it didnt work... now my radiator has a really low level of coolant and none in the overflow tank. what should i do? how do i replace the radiator hose if that's the problem? can i just dump water in there for now as a temp fix? on the can of 50/50 it says do NOT add water but there's gotta be a better way than blowing 7 bucks for coolant each time i want to go for a drive.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You are probably leaking from the weep hole on the underside of the water pump. Turn the truck off, reach under the water pump (behind the fan) and see if it's leaking there.

You can run water, it's better for the environment to do it, instead of dumping antifreeze everywhere. Not good for the system to run straight water, but if its leaking.

3. FlatBlackBurb

FlatBlackBurb 1/2 ton status

alright , ill check that tomorrow. is there any way i can fix this leak if its leaking from the weep hole?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, replace the water pump. It's not a very bad job all in all, depends on how much junk is in the way. :)

That hole is there to tell you that it's failed, and that there is no fixing it short of replacement. Just need to make sure that's where it's coming from first.