Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fat or skinny D60 shafts...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Oct 30, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Well after saving all my pennies and borrowing from my 401K I finally got a 60 with 4.88's and a locker. After stripping it down I noticed I have the "skinny" inner shafts. I was hoping for the fat shafts but thats just not my luck. Does anyone have any experience with breakage and the skinny shafts....any info what vehicles had the fat shafts in them and are innerchangeable?
    Thanks

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I think the fat shafts started coming in the Chevy 60s in about '85. The skinny ones are supposed to be stronger than the D44 shafts, but not by a whole lot, since the center section is only 1.31". </font color>

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

With 4.88's and skiny axles I'm betting it's a pre-81 Dodge axle, am I right?

From what I've seen, 80 seems to be the last year of the skinny stuff in Dodge and Chevy (haven't seen that much older Ford stuff) and 81 on having the fat axles.

4. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Check out GoHumvee. Wolf has the specs/PN on D70 Shafts that are the same size

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Its a chevy axle, I am having the gears and locker installed. It came with 4.10's and an open diff. I guess I need to worry about getting it put together before I worry about breakage.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

A Chevy axle...D@#%! Oh well, no prize for me. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif