Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Father-daughter talk

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ruthven13, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat and was for distribution of all wealth. She felt deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican which she expressed openly.

One day she was challenging her father on his beliefs and his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs. Based on the lectures that she had participated in and the occasional chat with a professor she felt that for years her father had obviously harbored an evil, even selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his. The self professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father.

He stopped her and asked her point blank, how she was doing in school. She answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain. That she studied all the time, never had time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend and didn't really have many college friends because of spending all her time studying. That she was taking a more difficult curriculum.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is your good friend Mary doing?"

She replied, "Mary is barely getting by." She continued, "She barely has a 2.0 GPA," adding, "and all she takes are easy classes and she never studies. But Mary is so very popular on campus, college for her is a blast, she goes to all the parties all the time and very often doesn't even show up for classes because she is too hung over."

Her father then asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your 4.0 GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0." He continued, "That way you will both have a 3.0 GP and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter visibly shocked by her father's suggestion angrily fired back, "That wouldn't be fair! I worked really hard for mine, I did without and Mary has done little or nothing, she played while I worked really hard!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Touching.... i'm sure every rich American has really EARNED every dollar. Broad generalizations my friend. I personally think that the current tax breaks for the wealthy are ridiculous. Of course. i'm currently broke and I barely graduated fron high school... :haha: :haha: :haha:

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I love it! I just sent it to my Mother and Sister......

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Which ones? :thinking: :what: ;)

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i dont see how ANYONE for ANY reason can get MORE taxes back than they pay. it makes no sense to me....
    grant

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Well, our society needs wealthy people.. even obscenely wealthy people.. for one, if GM couldn't sell hummers at a huge profit,( to the wealthy ) the little econobox cars would cost 50 grand. The less wealthy person's ability to buy a new car would be hampered.

More on topic, excessively taxing the wealthy to " make 'em pay their fair share" does nothing more than slow down overall economic growth.. the wealthy are the ones who provide opportunities, either by directly employing someone, or by spending / investing their wealth.

Entire industries rely on providing goods and services in exchange for the wealthy man's dollars.

Taxing these dollars insure that the money just sits and collects interest tax free, rather than bolster the economy as a whole.

Besides, history shows that when taxes are lowered, treasury revenue increases, due to increased economic activity.

Tom

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not to start a pissing match over a harmless joke, but people don't "earn" intelligence either. Life isn't fair, trying to make it "fair" is when we have problems.