Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Faulty Torque Converter???? HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sarazk5, Nov 14, 2001.

1. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

What would happen if i have a faulty torque converter? Upon accelleration I hear a squeak squeak squeak, then get major vibration. I just got the truck back out of the tranny shop last week. We can't figure out where this is coming from. Do you think it could be the tranny? It sounds like something is loose, but we can't figure out what! Everything seems tight.

2. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a u joint

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

4. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Would a U-Joint make that much vibration? it sounds like my truck is going to fall apart while driving. Also the squeak? While driving with the vibration i can feel all the vibration under my feet. This is why i worry it is the torque converter.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

try tightening the adapter mounts &amp; torque converter bolts. they tend to rattle lose after a rebuild

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A bad torque converter usually feels like you are losing power after you start to accelerate OR it will seem to really bog at first, but then get better as you go faster. This is because they can really only fail in two different ways, except for throwing chunks.

The other thing it can do is shudder in the lockup clutch. This feels like driving over rumble strips and it would only happen at higher speeds and cruising. Pressing the brake pedal lightly would make it stop.

Your problem could be with the U-joints. Also check all of the bolts down there to make sure that they are tight. Bellhousing to engine, tranny to t-case adapter and especially the crossmember to frame and transmission mount bolts.

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If a joint was realy bad it could.A torque converter wont vibrate hardly at all even if a balancing weight comes off.The only thing to go bad inside would be torington bearings,thrust washers,or the stator one way clutch.

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

8. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Check u-joints, mounts, and the flywheel. There is a slight possibility that the trans was rebuilt and some moron didn't put a bearing in place of something along those lines. If the trans fluid is crappy looking already you know something is wrong inside.
    Good luck,
    Mike

The jeep eater ......jeep it's what's for dinner[​IMG]

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Put my vote in on a bad U-joint.

Like the others have said, check bell-housing bolts, tranny mounts and cross member bolts. Make sure they are tight.

But from the description, low speed repetitive sqwak, bad vibration at freeway speeds, A "boom" like noise or vibration. Are sure signs of a faulty U-joint.

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I too would vote for the ujoint right behind the transfer case. Been there, had the same noise and the vibration. Fix it quick before the driveshaft slams up into the tranny tunnel and scare the whee out of you...........

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>