Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Favor to ask for someone with a late model GM dually...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Could someone with a late model (anything with one of the newer body styles) please measure the width on the rear axle for me? If you can just measure from flange to flange (where the brake backing plate bolts to) that would be fine, but wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface would be even better. Thanks!</font color>

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

What ya building? (If you don't mind me prying)

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Evan, I think the flange to flange distance is the same on the dually and non dually axles. The difference is in the hub and brake drum I believe...

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm just trying to confirm that these axles are 77" WMS to WMS, if they are then it will mean that if you built a truck with one of these axles and a dually D60, stock Hummer wheels would fit them very nicely and you'd end up with 1 ton gear for much less money that if you were to swap in SRW axles.

I think that Jason might be right, but 10" of width different seems to be a lot to make up in the hub. I think maybe I need to go down to the wrecker to take some measurements. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif </font color>

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Shaggy

Take a look at this thread in the for sale column. The last post has WMS to WMS measurements on it.

D70 in the for sale forum

So with a rear axle of 74" WMS to WMS how far off would the track width be in comparison to a dually D60? Also, if you were to get the track width the same would the hub on the rear axle stick out past the hummer wheel?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, that's out of an 80s truck though, I'm trying to get a measurement from a 90s truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Good deal. I am just trying to clarify a few things in my head. What width rear axle would you need to have the same track width as a dually D60?

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 77" is the width of the dually front WMS to WMS. A rear that is 74" would be close enough that it would be fine, that's the difference between the stock front and rear axles anyways. </font color>

9. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

This was posted on another thread. I haven't thought too hard on it just yet but I think you could use something besides a front 1-ton wheel hub, but I dunno....

D70 wheel spacer

What are your thoughts Shaggy?

Ohh one more thought I thought I had. If the WMS to WMS measurement was good or close to 77" on a late model dually rear end, you might be able to get it with the factory disk brakes...

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I think you could use something besides a front 1-ton wheel hub

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> You could use something besides a front 1 ton hub for what? You lost me...

I think spacers in general, and especially a spacer that is that thick, are pretty scary. I'd rather get an axle that is that wide in the first place. </font color>

11. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Did you click the link in the previous post? If not, I think it will make more sense after you read it.

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Shaggy just come on over and we'll pull the rear wheels off my '95 dually and get all the measurements you want. And mine has a dually 14BFF in it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I clicked the link, just didn't know what you meant about the front wheel hub, did you think that I suggested using a front hub on the rear or something? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I commented in the spacer on my last post. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Bruce, I'm way to damn lazy to do that, this is more of a curiosity for me at this point since I already have my junk. I'm just looking into this a little bit so the information is out there for people who may want to do this swap in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

14. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

They incorporated a front hub 1-ton hub to make their spacer out of. I was just thinking you could have used something else if you didn't want to use a front1-ton hub.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Most of the newer model trucks with solid front axles, such as the Dodge, simply use a bolt-on spacer to make the difference between a SRW and DRW application.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I guess it helps if I read the text rather then just lookin at the pikchurs. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif OK, my only problem with using a 1 ton front hub is that the things are really expensive. It looks like an SRW D60 hub, those suckas are expensive.

A factory spacer would be fine, I wonder if one could be adapted to a rear application. That spacer from the link was scary though, I don't think tube is meant to have that kind of force put one it, it looks like the outer ring would want to twist right off of it.</font color>

17. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The 88-up 1-ton IFS 4x4's w/DRW have a big spacer on the front.

You'll have to check if it will pass over the hub on the 14FF... otherwise it will need to be hogged out, or the hub machined down.