Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Favorite Camp Meals?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Polaris, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

This weekend hubby and I are going camping/wheeling with NO KIDS for the first time in a long time. I am planning out the camp menu today and looking for some new ideas. What are some of your favorites?

Thanks!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I like to make beef stew in advance and take it along. Then I just have to heat it up and I have a great meal that can be ready to eat in 10 minutes or so. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I often do camping trips that last a week or so. To help keep the cooler cold for a long time I'll freeze meats and anything else that will survive being frozen solid. I also fill a gallon milk jug up with water, leaving about a 3-inch air space at the top for expansion, then freeze that to use as an ice block in the cooler (and by the end of the week you have nearly a gallon of extra drinking water). /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Deer backstrap cut into medalions and cooked in olive oil and garlic.

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

That sounds awesome. I do hope Trev gets a deer this year! Last year he didn't, for the first time in a long time, and I miss it!

5. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Great ideas! We've camped so much this year that I'm just not feeling very creative. Beef stew sounds good. I have frozen gallon jugs in the freezer. The only reason I don't do that is that I usually don't have enough room in the cooler when all 5 of us go. We take a food cooler & a drink cooler. This summer we bought a Coleman Xtreme 5 day cooler. While I'm not sure about the "5 day" thing, it is definitely an improvement over the old one that we use for drinks.

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

what kind of camping? my menu changes based on where I am going, what facilities are available... etc... my personal favorite is rough camping. I take eggs, bacon, burgers, a few cans of chili, hot dogs, buns, steaks, potato's, carrots...etc...

Bacon and eggs for breakfast, chili-dogs or chili burgers for lunch/dinner. wrap up the steaks with some chopped potato's and carrots in aluminum foil, throw the tight package on the coals, under the wood, on the fire, let them roast up... MMmmm good.

you can cook anything/everything on the camp fire... without a ton of effort.

the best thing I ever cooked was a pork tenderloin roast. some onions (took them for the burgers and used them here) some rosemary (fresh, found it hiking) some garlic (I am a seasoning whore, what do you want from me) salt and pepper. rubbed the tenderloin with the garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, poured some beer in some aluminum foil. cut some big onion chunks, wrapped another piece of foil around the top and laid it on the coals, under the wood. kept the fire pretty hot and like 45 minutes later was eatin the tenderest (most tender?) pork sandwich on a hambuger bun I ever had. throw some beer marinated onions on it... omfg it was good. tried it at home in the oven and it worked well but not AS well...

we also used to take whole milk and put it in a tupperware container and pass it around the campfire. when you got the container it was your turn to tell a joke and shake the container. Eventually, after I dont know how many beers, you will get fresh, yummy, butter. use it on toast in the morning (toasted on the camp fire). good stuff man.

I LOVE camping...

7. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I usually make and freeze chilli in ziplocks before I go. A bean chilli if I'm going with vegans, but throw a couple strip steaks in the side, cook 'em over the fire, slice 'em thin and throw them rare into the chilli - way better than ground beef. Usually pre-cook some rice to go with it and make toast.

An easy one is black bean pasta - can mix some cooking oil, garlic, spices to taste (pesto is good) in a little container before you leave, heat that up and then dump in drained black beans and salsa (and whatever else sounds good to you) and simmer for a bit then mix with cooked pasta of your liking. Wagon wheels and pasta shells cook well over a campfire and don't need too much water - you can cook em in a small pot too.

Italian sausage, green peppers and onions. Cook the sausage over the fire, cut into chunks and then throw in with big chunks of peppers, mushrooms and onions in tin foil and let it all cook together. You can have it on its own or throw it between bread.

Frozen hashbrowns will keep in the cooler and are a fave for breakfast - its easier to cook them over the fire with a lot of oil to keep them from burning, though they're a little greasy.

Then the usual - hamburgers or deer burgers can be frozen in advance if you need to keep 'em a few days in the cooler. I prefer sausage in a bun to hot dogs, but they're a staple. But the best junk food thing after a few beers is corn dogs cooked over the fire - they get all crispy on the outside and are awesome with a little mustard - though it's possible to burn the hell out of the roof f your mouth - ask me how I know.

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Bag omelettes: Put 1 or 2 eggs, meat, onions, cheese, and whatever else you like on your omelet in a gallon size ziplock bag. Drop it in boiling water until cooked. Plop it all out on a plate and you have a good breakfast and almost zero cleanup.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This weekend hubby and I are going camping/wheeling with NO KIDS for the first time in a long time. I am planning out the camp menu today and looking for some new ideas. What are some of your favorites?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure hubby gets to dine on some Beaver......... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

No kids...Don't forget the bottle of champagne Andrea... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Make sure hubby gets to dine on some Beaver......... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif