Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FAVORITE SHOCK?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jun 15, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

What is everyone favorite shock? That a regular guy can afford /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I like my rancho rs 9000s. They are adjustable so you can set it exactly where you need it. Wait to buy them until they are on sale. Once or twice a year you can get buy three get one free.

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i like my Pro Comp ES3000's. good ride and very affordable. about $30 to $35 each.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dt8000. looong travel, nice and soft, beefy, and $35 a pop from our friends at WTO

j

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I'm with jekbrown. I've heard nothing but good things on this board about dt8000's. Thats what I'm getting. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

How do I order from them? Is there any where i can read about DT8000's

7. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    How do I order from them? Is there any where i can read about DT8000's

[/ QUOTE ]

dt shocks

order them by calling matt/lisa at WTO and telling em that ya wants some dt8000s. They will need to know how long a shock u want... if u are gonna custom mount them like many peeps on ck5 do (including me!) then just get the longest dt8000s they offer and you're set. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif there are pics of them in my webshots...

j

8. jekbrown

oh yeah, one other cool thing about the dt8000s... they are factory approved to be mounted "upside down".

j

9. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I'd prefer the RS9000's because of their reputation and adjustability.

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I have the dt8403's and I will never buy them ever again! The damn shafts rusted out on me after about 5 months, contacted DT and they wanted me to send them in so they could determine if they were defective. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Now I am looking for something with some more travel, 13" is not good enough anymore. Does anyone know of a shock that has about a 16" travel???

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

does anyone know if I could get the EXTRA soft? I wanted to run duals up front

12. jekbrown

i never knew NJ was so rust prone. I live in the PNW (about as wet as it gets) and go to the beach on occassion in my k5 and my dt8000s shafts arent even close to rusting...

j

13. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    oh yeah, one other cool thing about the dt8000s... they are factory approved to be mounted "upside down".

j

[/ QUOTE ] A quick lesson on shocks (bear with me on this one and become edumacated /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif) :

most shocks are twin tube design and are filled with oil... Twin tubes create more friction... more friction = more heat, as oil heats up, it breaks down (just like your motor oil) and causes your shocks to fade. Even after they have cooled they will never be as efficient as they were before. And don't be fooled into thinking that your shocks don't get hot, go bounce around offroad for an hour and hold one of your shocks, it will at minimum be warm.

Another problem they have is foaming, this happens when the shocks get warm and/or have been subjected to prolonged use/ rapid movement. The solution to foaming is to use a gas charged shock... but not just any gas charged shock... a standard gas charged shock (rsx, the new 9000x's, etc) has the gas in the same chamber as the oil it just stays at the top of the shock so the piston of the shock will move through the oil and not the gas, the problem is that when they finally begin to foam they will "cavitate" which is when the nitrogen will actually get mixed up with the oil (think shook up soda) and then the piston will move through the oil/gas mix easier causing the shock to fade (although they will get better after you let them sit for a while to let the gas rise back to the top)

So if you mount a gas charged shock upside down the piston will be pushing from the top down (the gas sits at the top +/- 1/3 of the shock) and won't be dampening at all for that first 1/3 of the shocks travel. The dt8000's (and es's, rs5k's, and the old rs9k's for that matter) are "approved" to be mounted upside down because they are NOT gas charged so it doesn't matter which way you run them because there is only oil to push through.

Now there is one exception to the rule of mounting gas shocks upside down... the shock MUST be monotube AND use a dividing piston between the gas and oil to prevent the 2 from ever mixing with each other. This also keeps pressure on the oil to prevent it from foaming and the monotube design creates less friction thus less heat which equals a shock that won't fade.

And in case you were wondering what shock has all of these qualities, look no further than a bilstein 5100 series, they are available in lengths up to 14.5'' travel for about $70 each (lifetime warranty too.) This is the same design as most race style remote reservoir shocks use just without the reservoir.

14. jekbrown

or mount dts the normal way and save urself $35 a shock. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

good tech info tho. isnt it kinda weird that the guys who design dt shocks dont know these things tho? they say u can mount em that way.. u say you can't. are they lying or? maybe this could be the frivilous $50 million dollar lawsuit i have been looking for...

j

15. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

anyone tryed skyjacker NITRO's?

16. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    they say u can mount em that way.. u say you can't. are they lying or?

j

[/ QUOTE ] Actually I said "The dt8000's... are "approved" to be mounted upside down because they are NOT gas charged so it doesn't matter which way you run them..."

So they aren't lying at all, they just try to make it sound like something special when it is really built EXACTLY the same as all the other cheapo (twin tube, non-gas charged) shocks out there (which can also be mounted upside down)...

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of them come off of the same assembly line, they just have different #'s stamped in them.

And for anyone elses information, Rancho and gabriel are one in the same, so save yourselves some $$$ and just buy the gabriels /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. jekbrown

oh ok, musta been my pain meds kickin in when i was reading ur post. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif DT8000s may be made like "all the other cheapo shocks out there" but I sure as heck like em a lot more than the poopy rs5000s they replaced. For what I do, the 8000s work purdy well. Eventually, Im gonna go 4 link, coilovers and bob my rigs bed... THEN I'll get the pimp $$$$$$ shocks... for now, these are fine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j