Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Favorite Songs for Car Audio Demos ?!?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Greg72, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

OK, I know there are a few hardcore installation experts, and some hardcore enthusiasts too!

I want to start a thread with the favorite songs you demo your "own" audio systems with......you know, the stuff that REALLY shows off the BASS, or the IMAGING, or the CLARITY, or whatever. What I want people to do is list the Artist and Song, and a brief description of WHY it is a good demo song (In Your Own Humble Opinion, of Course [​IMG])

I'll do a few to get started:

1. <font color=red>Shooting Star - "Hollywood"</font color=red> - This song demonstrates great upper-midbass tightness (if you've got it)...the drum attacks after each slow section of the song are intense!

2. <font color=red>Sheffield Labs Track &amp; Drum Record</font color=red> - A rather obscure label, but the last two tracks are drum solos that are great at revealing both TIGHT bass, and incredible detail. There are a few places where you can hear the drummer "humming" to himself as he prepares for the next "Attack" on the drums, and some great details in the quieter sections where you hear drum brushes "swishing" and a great bass drum sound when it hits.

3. <font color=red>Motley Crue - "Kickstart My Heart"</font color=red> - The final section of the song following the lyric "When we started this band, all we needed......needed was a laugh, years gone by I'd say we kicked some ass....." I believe it is a double-bass drum being used in that song, and it absolutely POUNDS my chest with seperate bass pulses when the system is clear.....if not, I suppose it's more of a muddled bass drone. This one will tell you if your amps are pulling too much current too fast....if you need more stiffening caps....or if your subwoofer design is not quite right.

I've got LOTS more, but I just wanted to "seed" this thread with some ideas and let the rest of you jump in with suggestions......I'm always looking for new and interesting demo music......

SO START TYPING!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Greg72

2. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Tell me more tell me more!!!!!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Sweet...I have the Kickstart my heart song, Gonna have to play that next time I'mn in the cherokee.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Do you remember the old guy that died that used to test all the subs for Car Audio mag. back in the early 90's? I remember that he always used to use Metallica's One as one of the test CD's. That one part in the middle of the song when there are several drum hits really close together. It lets you test just how fast your subs are.
    Something else I like to use for the stereos is the Van Halen Balance CD. Its not my favorite music or anything, but I've found that that CD can make most every stereo sound good. And it makes the good systems sound great. Strong punchy bass, crystal clear highs.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. MITCH_89'

MITCH_89' Registered Member

All right, Im not a huge fan, BUT, Madonna's Imaculant Collection cd is one of the best cds for quality. I bought the cd when I installed all of my stuff to get everything tweaked right. Excellent choice in my opinion.

BLAZE IT UP!!

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Pantera works great for multiple bass hits.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. Greg72

Mitch,

You know it's funny....sometimes I find myself listening to music not because I like it, but because it is well recorded and shows off the dynamics of a system. I agree about that Madonna CD it does sound good....I'm just not so fond of the music! [​IMG]

-Greg72

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

When I bought my rack system for the house back in '96 I used White Zombie More human than human, blew all the speakers in my truck right after I bought my changer so I decided that if the system could handle that cranked then it passed the test. Now I look for a lot of crisp instrumental stuff and tight bass. Several good songs have already been mentioned.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Metallica's "S&amp;M" works well - killer frequency range, and great for imaging. My test CD of choice was always "Bass boom bottom" from Power Supply - not my type of music, but killer stuff designed to push a system to it's limits.

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

10. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

This is my kinda post [​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    GO BUSH

11. Greg72

Sly,

Well c'mon.....stop lurking and tell us your own favorites! [​IMG]

Gotta keep this list growing....

-Greg72

12. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

I like burbans and lacs by master p, it got really good loud bass. I also like Exodus by micranots, the bass is very very low, on some system the subs just move but with no sound, but when you can hear it it sounds really cool.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bigredjimmy.iwarp.com>http://www.bigredjimmy.iwarp.com</a>

13. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Ok here you go Garth Brookes "Thunder Roals" ...Great bass and imaging.......

another one is Kenny G... Great sound to test highs and mids...

I'm not into the bass seen.... I want to here it all......clearity is whaat I want to hear......

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

14. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

I test with Pink Floyd, covers the entire spectrum. Tech Master P.E.B is a good one to test bass response.

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

15. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

the first track on megadeth's symphony of destruction album. Awesome druns at the beginning, kick ass song to boot. I think its called " skin of my teeth"

Im also kinda partial to the intro to " life in the fast lane" by the eagles.

-matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350, 33's</font color=blue><font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Road</font color=red>
    www.chevyhedk5.tripod.com

16. goblazeinco

goblazeinco Registered Member

The Red Hot Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" cd is one of the best system checking sounds I can think of. Amazing bass and good on the high side of the spectrum also.

'86 K5, 14bolt FF & D44, 6" Skyjacker, 35" BFG Muds, 350, 700R4

17. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Slipknot-Iowa - Out of control double bass drum!
    Mudvayne- LD 50- Great vocal's and bass guitar
    Kottonmouth Kings- any cd...those stoners have beat &amp; lyrics

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>Welcome to Bucketheadland</a>

18. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have a CD I made of a bunch of the songs over the years the Goo Goo Dolls have done (the stuff on the radio right on down to the not so heard harder rock). Been a great cd for tweeking everything to the right sounds.... another thing I have done in the past is downloaded sounds from simply all around us (a stream, thunder, race cars, birds, children laughing) and burned cd's of those and popped them in the player. We all know how stuff should sound or how we want it sound and it's a great way to test the sound quality.....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

20. Greg72

JEK,

I'll second that...B-Boys are one of my favorite groups anyway, not always popular with anyone else I know though.....

<font color=red>Crystal Method - Vegas CD </font color=red> has some insanely low-frequency stuff in some of the songs....I forget the title of the song but it's the one that goes "...this transmission is coming to you.....you got it..."

After they say ".....you got it....." there is this note that must be 20Hz....it is SO low that on most systems you won't even know it's there......just a long, sustained bass note that the rest of the song layers on top of.

I'll admit that my Blazer system won't play it as well as my home system and my other car stereo does.....you can hear it, but it's output is substantially weaker. My subwoofers -3dB point is around 35Hz, so that 20Hz note is probably down by 18dB or more.....

COOOL! [​IMG]

-Greg72