Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fawked up D60 knuckle....help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bushwhacker, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well My knuckle is fawked for the moment. I was installing my steering arm and saw that the studs needed to go farther into the knuckle, well I went and started removing them to tap the holes out and clean up the threads. The first stud came out and ate all the threads in the knuckle. the others were fine. What the hell can I do to fix it without spending $$$$$$$$ for some Dedenbear knuck's???? Heli coil?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Clay

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Heli coil will work or drill them out and retap them one size bigger in bolt size /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I stripped one of the bolt holes out of mine D60 knuckle and called Steve Watson ans he suggested a HeliCoil so I went that route...

Chris

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Before trying anything else, why don't you run a tap in the hole and see how bad the threads really are?

5. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the input guys. I did try a tap but there was only about 1/4 inch of thread left. I got it fixed this afternoon. I went with the helicoil and it worked great!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks,

Clay