Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fawkin tire shops! Grrrrrrrr....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UseYourBlinker, Jul 9, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I wake up around 9 in da mornin. Get dressed head over to America's tire co. in Union City. I have lifetime balance and rotaion for free. One of the guy's has a problem with one tire. He begans to install 7.75 oz. of wieghts on the rim. I tell him they are just gonna fly off. Maybe try to debead the tire and spin in a 180 degrees. Well that didn't work ether. No other choice than to put the 7.75 oz. of weights on the inside of the rim. Well sure enuff I hit the freeway and get around 80 mph. I hear abunch of sh!t hitting the inside of the fenders. I get to my detination get out ,and look in the fenders. There are a couple of good chunks of metal missing. Looking at the rims I notice that almost every rim losta wieght. WTF? What to do now? I can go back and get them rebalance again,but I have a feeling they are gonna just come off agian. What can I do?
    They are only 33's ....****!

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a feeling they are gonna just come off agian. What can I do?

quit driving 80 mph /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

damn, i don't know why they would do that, mine are fine. and 4 wheel parts did mine.

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

You need a tire shop that knows what the hell they are doing. They should have held up 80 without any problem.

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">My 36" Swampers started to do this after a few wheelin trips, so I just took the rest off and left it like that /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif .

Do you have alloy wheels? The lip is not the same on all alloy wheels and therefor there is a number of different weights for alloy wheels. If the tire shop didn't use the correct weights, they wont stay on. Also, are they clip on weights or stick on? If they're stick on, then I'm not surprised they came off.

6. UseYourBlinker

Yea..I have alloy rims. The sticky wieghts just suck,cause they just come off,but the hammer wieghts usaully just stay on. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

There is a product called equal I believe. It goes inside the tire, and it looks a lot like sand. It seems to work well. It's supposed to work by absorbing the slap of the vibration into itself. Check with 4 wheel parts, they might know something.

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Like I said, they have to be the right hammer weights. If they are the right ones, they should stay on.

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have equal in mine...it works relly well...except for the tire thats missing some in left rear...but other than that /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

if they use the stick-on flat weights you can cover them with duct tape, i've seen that in one of the mags, i know i need mine rebalanced the mudpit in hollister swallowed a few ounces. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Biggest thing wrong with this situation is you went to American Tire Co they are nothing but f*ck ups. Try finding a better shop. I have nothing but bad experiences with them. Thats my rant. Good luck though.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've had nothing but great luck with America's tire company... Maybe it's a bad lacation? Maybe you could try a different America's tire, tell them what keeps happening with the other shop and see if they can do it right. Don't write off the whole chain because one location is full of idiots...</font color>

13. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

JEEZE ypu got up at 9 in da mownin. sheeeeww you might just have to take a nap after all that /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif j/k

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I had good luck with the America's Tire off Brokaw Rd in San Jose. They claim that they can balance anything up to 44" on their machines......most shops won't even try stuff over 35".

The guy took quite a bit of time to do my balancing and the truck ran a lot smoother (duh!) afterwards.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've used the stick-on (self adhesive) weights for years and have never had a problem with them coming off on either steel or alloy rims. In fact, the force of the spinning tire actually helps keep the stick-on weights on.

16. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah true this one shop just did everything wrong though.

17. UseYourBlinker

Well I went back to the shop agian,and talked with the manager. The guy was helpful,and as soon as I got to the shop they took my blazer in. I was in and out in 10 mins /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Now the blazer is in another shop getting an alignment /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

18. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I use Equal in my 38's they run just fine.
    Bill C /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

19. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

where do you guys buy Equal?

20. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i ordered it from 4 wheel parts...it ran me about 50 bucks for all 4 tires...but they screwed up the order and sent me enough for my spare...hehe...no worries here tho /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif