Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fawking oil plug......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Aug 16, 2002.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok this will be the 5th time I have tried to get that basterd to seal and not leave oil spots on the driveway..
    What is the best way to seal it I have tried the plastic washers,rubber gaskets ,copper ones and they all leak...It never did when I first bought it and then the plastic one broke and I replaced it and it leaks ever since..Sorry the oil pan plug is the one I was ranting about...mike

I am about to use rtv on it.......
    Thanks for letting me rant.. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

are you sure it is the plug that is leaking, it could be from a higher point that runs down and drips off the plug. you may have to clean the pan off and be sure it is coming from the plug, if it is, the plug threads are usually an insert that is welded into the thin metal pan, a spot weld could have cracked and it's leaking beside the plug.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Go buy a new plug for $5. It'll come with a good gasket.

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Sorry been there done that..HE HE /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, you can try an o-ring. They aren't much fun to find (or pay for) for ones with resistance to gas and oil.

If you want to find a beefier nylon one you can go visit the plumbing department of a competent hardware store.

Anyway, if it's still leaking I'd blame it on a loose weld nut. A crazy friend of mine used to use PTFE tape on his. I, myself, would be worried about it getting sucked through the oil pump but he never had any problems. He, of course, gets all the luck. If I tried doing half the stuff he's done and gotten away with I'd be broke, in jail, and missing limbs. Well, I'm broke anyway..

If I were having as much trouble as you I'd find a plug with the largest shoulder known to man and then make a gasket out of rubber roofing.

6. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I used to work in a tire and lueb shop and we got these plugs that had some kinda o-ring that sat in a groove on the sholder of the plug. They worked excellant I have on in my blazer cause it used to do the same thing. Now it only leaks a little bit out of the right valve cover and the PCV valve. Hate it. You might try to find one of those you can get them with magnetic tips also,but I don't know if they make them in the right size w/ the gasket and tip both. Think that is just for rice grainders. Good luck. Nothing works revert and just use the whole tube of RVT on it. Never leak agian.

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

A mig Welder will fix that right up! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif