Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FCC to Drop Morse Code Requirement

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 88Silverado, Dec 21, 2006.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My father in-law is one of the ones pissed off about it too . He said he'd give me a test so he'd know if I am "one of them" , and then give me a "nice" 10 meter rig ( htx-10 :rolleyes: ) . I just kept my mouth shut ( those are all over ebay for 100 bucks ) and took the wife home .

I never understood him , he forced his children to learn , and become hams .........by memorizing the questions :laugh: My wife his , his daughter , is a VE , and doesn't even know how to adjust the swr on the rigs I put in the truck we just bought :wink1:

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Yea, back when I was first studying for my license there were study guides but the were "similar to" type of questions and you had to take everything, except the novice exam, at the local FCC field office.

Then is got easier with the actual questions and VE exams, reduced code requirements (it was 20WPM for my Extra) to 5WPM to now no code required.

The real issue I have with the VE and study guides is they are mostly around 2M type of operators. They hardly cover the HF bands or modes. Now the different classes of licenses really mean nothing.

Oh well, I LOVE CW operating. I have 317 countries on CW, and im down to my last 3 countries to have worked them all. I guess now if you want to operate any other mode besides SSB, you will have to learn on your own.

4. pauly383

wish I "really" had the time too . I would try at work , but I don't even have sound on this PC :doah:

5. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

I was listening to Art Bell talk about this a few nights ago, it probably has a lot of old timer's panties in a bunch.

6. pauly383

On QRZ and Eham , it sure does .

7. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I don't and can't; but I remember a scene in Independence Day where the Aliens are attacking Earth and the only way that the countries could communicate was in Morse code. Well I guess we are all screwed now!

8. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

[​IMG] oops! I'm sorry, Morse Code no longer exists....

[​IMG]