Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fe help?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Jan 7, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I know this is not the forum for other vehicles but I need help fast. This is my daily driver until my blazer is all good. I have a 1970 ford f100 with a 390 fe. My problem is I keep bending the same pushrod. I bought the truck in may and it drove great. I made the mistake about a week later of doing a burnout to 70 in first gear (was on a bad road hit dirt tires spun too fast). Any ways a week later a tick began coming from underneath my passenger side valve cover. When i pulled the cover I found my number 1 intake pushrod bent at about 45 degrees. So I replaced it and it just kept bending them. So I pulled them and drove without it. I know that I floated that valve which caused all this. Well the engine just got worst and I said f it I will drive it till it blows b/c my blazer would be done shortly. Well plans for my blazer went alot farther so now I need my ford for a while. So on the 30 of Dec I replaced the the lifters, pushrods, heads, intake, and valve covers. I did not replace the rocker shaft assemblies (dumb mistake #1) I also did not have time to have the block machined so I did not replace the cam or pistons. The cylinders looked great and it is still a standard bore. Well now about a week or 2 later I have bent the same pushrod. They are standard dishtop pistons and almost all the valves are the original ford stamped. I havent got on it at all and havent topped 45 for fear of this happening. Also it is not a performance cam it is just standard, wether or not that makes a difference. What is going on?

1. My rocker assembly is bent. Could cause the pushrod to slip and misalign.
    2. #1 piston is cut too long so it is hitting the valve ( i doubt it but possible)
    3. I was told that all FE's developed this problem when leaded gas went away. But the heads are reman (not my old ones). So if they were rebuilt they would have hardened seats now which is supposed to eliminate that problem right?
    4. Could my reman heads be bad in the same cylinder. A little too coincidental for me? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I am waiting for them to approve my membership so I can post a question. I was hoping someone here would know something or maybe have an idea? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like you bent a valve stem, which is now sticking in the head and causing the pushrod to bend. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I would think the rocker arm shaft would be the next thing to look at, maybe it is slightly bent? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

There is a shop close to me in Pensacola Fl. that one of the owners is a big Ford nut. The guy can be a little squirrely but he really knows his shiat, you might try calling him for info. The shop is Speed Unlimited, 1-800-874-8655 - ask for Donnie Culberson.

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Do you guys think that it is possible that my timing chain is stretched to where it is causing my timing to be off and the #1 intake valve to drop to soon? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif