Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Feb 24th

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by sganje, Feb 20, 2007.

1. sganje

sganje Registered Member

Well I won't be able to make the m-n-g so I guess I will ask you guys now. I need to get the correct angle from driveshaft to 3rd member. I put the axles under my truck from the General and I know the angle is not right. The driveshaft is almost straight if not inverted upwards a little. I can drive it, but I have a feeling I will be going through u joints if I don't get it fixed. If anybody is willing to help me with this I would reallly appreciate it. Later

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

If you have the 10 bolt from the general it doesn't have a "3rd member". Things like Toyota and Eaton rear ends have 3rd members.

As far as angle, in theory you want the operating angles of both u-joints to be the same. I found that my truck has the least vibrations with the pinion yoke pointing right at the t-case output.

If your pinion yoke is pointing above the t-case output, that is bad regardless.

3. sganje

sganje Registered Member

third member, rear end whatever. you got the point. I believe the angle of the driveshaft at the t-case is supposed to be the same angle as the rear. Correct? I guess I would like to know if there is a something to measure the angle so if I take the perches off the axle and move them I get the correct angle.

4. 1977k5

Its called an angle finder, I bet that someplace like Home Depot has them cheap.

As far as moving the perches, it is much easier to use shims under the springs.

5. sganje

sganje Registered Member

well I have a shackle flip and zero rates under my springs so I think to be on the safe side I should move the perches rather than shim it. I don't know what to do, so that is why I posted this thread. I wish I could make the m-n-g so I could show you what I beleive to be the issue.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah get an angle finder from Home Depot. I have one I picked up for like $10 IIRC, definitely not more than $20. I've used it quite a bit now actually.

Technically you can have the pinion pointed higher as long as the angle is still the same. It's call the "Broken Back" or "W" setup.

Here read this: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index2.html We followed the procedure outlined in that for setting up B_to_C's perches/driveshaft angle. He hasn't griped to me about driveline vibes.

And Chris it the rear axle I had in the General was a 12bolt. :tongue1:

7. mrk5

You could get tapered zero-rates made also.

8. 1977k5

Ya know, I was thinkin' it was a 12 bolt but that didn't seem like it fit since your truck is an '84. I guess you swapped that in at some point, huh?

9. mrk5

Twice actually. Counting the short time I ran B_to_C's 14b, this will be my fifth axle. I kept swapping for gear ratio. :D I just didn't want to confuse sganje.

10. sganje

sganje Registered Member

Thanks mrk5 that thread will be helpful. I just need to go get an angle finder. Who sells angled zero rates? Thanks guys

11. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ORD can make you some. You just need to let them know what angle you want on them. If you bought from them they may even let you send the ones you have back and have them milled.

Sounds like you might want to spend some time on the phone with Stephen anyway.

12. mrk5

I agree. For one thing he'll be able to explain how to measure the angle so they can cut the zero-rates properly.