Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Feb 4, Moody Hill/Crystal Mtn - Colorado crew

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mrk5, Jan 28, 2006.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

We all know about the Feb 11th run, but this is another one a week earlier.

My brother-in-law just installed a lock-rite in his 12bolt, and he wants to test it out. So, beings as we are only a little ways from Moody/Crystal, we're going to head up there.

John talked like he and Bo might be interested in going up. Let me know guys.

I'm still working on Mr No-Go. :wink1:

2. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

If I get this fuel line problem worked out, I'm in.

3. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Working 11-7:30

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The great and wonderful poo shoveler can probably make it. I have the Aussie/Warn install scheduled for this Friday. Can we meet at a decent hour? That gives me time to feed. I still need to ask (plead) with Ger and see if she'll cover the late afternoon. But I have confidence in my overwhelming charm. :D (grovel).

5. mrk5

Awww, man say it ain't so. I hope you can fix it.

What time are you thinking? By decent hour do you mean 11AM and I get to sleep in, or 8AM get up and moving you lazy slug?

I intentionally left the start time out so we could determine that based on who could make it.

Sorry Nick, I don't think anyone will want to start at 4AM so you could make to work. Or start at 8PM for that matter.

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

FUBAR

Not going to make it anywhere anytime soon. I don't believe I'll make the China Wall either. Pulled the 44 apart and found the following. Soon as the diff cover came off the fluid came out looking like panned silver. Bad sign of things to come.

Drivers side long shaft u-joint was operating on one axis only, the other axis was so tight it won't move. Looks like it created a cascade effect. The Warn lockout on the same side looked like it was ground on a lathe. The hub was packed with metal shavings and the back of the lockout housing was cut down close to 1/4 inch. Looks like the hub bearings took a beating as well.

The carrier bearing on the drivers side looked okay but the opposite passenger side looked like it took a trip down sandblast highway. The roller bearings are badly pitted and the race has huge divots missing out of the face. The ring gear looks smoothed, not sharp like you'd expect. It has a silvery worn sheen on the contact faces with no distinct tooth pattern.

I'm amazed the shaft hadn't busted. I'd say the axle is screwed, looks like it needs to be overhauled with new bearings, new seals, et. No way I'll be dropping 800 for that.

So unless I get lucky it will be a good while before I'm running.

7. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

:eek1:

Damn James! That blows...

But at the same time I could go on and on about how my truck has this and that problem and I "really shouldn't be running it"

I say run it and see what happens! :deal:

8. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry about your axle! But you know it does't matter whether or not you can drive the "DRIVEWAY QUEEN SHOW TRUCK" over the little or the big rocks we still need your company for the China Wall run.:D :D I'm sure I will scare the chit out of my son-in-law so you just as well be along for the fun! If you don't feel safe riding with me I'm sure there are other seats you can occupy. Besides I'm sure Scott will find some mud to get stuck in and who will run one of the shovels I now carry! I'm thinking we should make you the offical photographer and you can just leave the "Driveway Queen Show Truck" home.:haha: :haha: Be there or be square!:D

fred2mihi aka Bluebeard

9. mrk5

Yeah, you definitely gotta make it to China Wall. This time you could ride with John.

Hey, I have a prefectly good D44 out there already for the locker install. Remember you helped me tear it apart. Drive your sorry ass up here to Evans Sunday, and we'll swap axles.

And I'm not kidding either. You can have that axle free, whether it's for short-term or long-term. We only need to swap on your outers which have to come anyways.

LET'S DO IT!!!

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Thanks Scott for the offer. That is very generous of you and I appreciate it.

I have some news though and it will explain my thinking and what happened late today. Do you happen to remember when we were at the Marines toys for tots drive? There was a relatively new 4x4 shop called All Phase Offroad, located up in Longmont. They were one of the sponsors.

Before I attempted the Aussie install myself I had called 2 shops for estimates. One was Boulder Offroad and the other was All Phase. BOR had quoted 425 to 450 just for the Aussie barring any other problems. I never heard back from All Phase and forgot about them.

Strangely enough All Phase called me tonight around 5:00 pm to give me their quote of 295 for the Aussie install. The timing was spooky. I explained to the gentleman that I had gone ahead with the install and described the problems I found. We had a little back and forth and he quoted me 450 for a complete axle rebuild and locker installation. That includes new bearings, seals, Warn hubs, et. Pretty tough to beat that price so I scheduled an appointment for this Friday. This way I will have an axle knowing exactly what's been done, what condition it is in, with no more guessing. I went as far as I could on my own and have no regrets trying.

If one of you guys has a good Warn manual hub body, single side, or set, that would save me 70.00 on the install. The Warn lockout on the Driver's side has a 1/4 inch deep groove cut into the backside and is pure junk. Let me know if you do and I'll come get it.

Thanks again Scott for your kind offer, I told your Dad he raised a good kid. Even if he is a grumpy ol' cuss. :D

11. mrk5

You know there always has to be a balance, so I balance out Dad's grumpiness.

Good to hear it worked out. Sounds like they have some reasonable prices there.

12. mrk5

Little update on the wheelin' trip this weekend.

Moody Hill is now closed, but Crystal Mountain is still open.

So, we are going to meet at the trail head for Moody @ 9:30AM and then go on up to Crystal Mountain.

If we finish Crystal too quickly, we can go over and play in the snow on Sevenmile just down the road.

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Update on the axle fix.

They got it apart today, thrust washers were grenaded. one has a 3/4 elliptical crack you could see through. Lucky I had a spare carrier sitting around with good ones. Drivers disc hub is toast with a spun race and was replaced. Races in D44 housing had to be peened.

I asked him how long he thought it would've been before it blew apart. "Not Long"

Luck of the Irish baby.

14. mrk5

Well, at least I feel better about my thrust washers.

You know I had a spun race in the passenger side, the same side we replaced the spindle on coincidently enough.:rolleyes: Luckily I had a spare hub out in the yard. Thank goodness I held on to all those D44s. :wink1:

Gonna make it Saturday?

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I don't think so, still having Edel-crap carby problems.

I may end up just catching a ride to China Wall unless I can get a running carby running. Just one of those months, John is rubbing off on me.

I think most D44 are toast, I have not seen a good "Old" one yet. I guess that makes us blood brothers. :D

16. mrk5

You know that's is part of the reason why I think so many 1/2ton axles get such a bad rap. They are old and in disrepair. You know that 95% of people don't do preventative maintenance on their axles.

Guess we'll test my theory with my 1/2ton axles. The only factory part on the set is the axle shafts on the D44.

17. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I bet you break a spicer 760 before you hose an axle. Your light on the throttle for the most part. I'll have to start watching for cheap alloys and return the favor.

The more I'm into this 4x4 stuff the more I think gear ratio makes the difference. You saw how Ed made us all look silly with his crawl ratio. :doah:

18. mrk5

I too underestimated gear ratio until I now that I have the 4.56 gears. I'm not sure which has made the most difference, the gears or the front locker. Someday I'll own a doubler and all the gear that I could want. *sigh* some day.

19. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Well I am officially locked, loaded, and flat broke. :D

20. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

James, Bo and I should have my fuel line squared away, so if you wanna ride with me, I owe you a ride anyway. I'm still deep in the debate, whether or not to go 14-bolt (cheaper, stronger, heavier, less clearance) or just beef and gear the 10-bolts. Right now, I have no money and owe taxes, so the fact remains that any upgrades will be several months in the future.