Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fed up with my tbi

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Arakel, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Arakel

Arakel Registered Member

my 89 3/4 sub has a tbi
    i'm fed up with this computer stuff
    looking forward to throw it out and instal dual plane air gap edelbrock intake
    Confused which carb should i go with since the 350 motor is stock now, later ill add a hot cam, so which carb, Truck avenger or Demon trucker, cant find a new Quadrajet i know its a great one.
    Also can i use my electrical pump feeding a carb??

Thanks everybody for being helpful,
    since i was told Holley tbi needs chip modofication and sooo much Moneey $ to spend.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hmmm...carb, cold morning. Pump the gas a few times, choke on, crank, pump the gas, feather the throttle, cox the revs up and hope it doesn't ice again, choke in a bit, little bit more, maybe I can drive off now without it bogging down.:mad:

TBI.... Open door, don't get in, put key in, crank for less than a second as engine bursts into life. Close door, finish coffee, open door with spare key. mmmm , nice warm truck, drives away perfectly.:D

Yeah I can see why you want a carb!:rolleyes:

Just messing with ya. You must have a problem if you want to get rid of EFI. Surely it would be much better to sort your problems out than spend lots of money on going backwards.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

tbi any day over carb for bottom end power and off road easy. if you need a tbi unit for 350 ebay has some full remaned ones for around 200. if you need help shipping one of us might be able to help in that area possible.

4. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

There, fixed it for ya...

Seriously though, if you wanna get rid of that TBI just let me know and I will take it off your hands.

You ought to tell us what is happening with the TBI and maybe we can help. But I will tell ya this, going to carb should be your last resort.

Based on your last couple lines I am wondering if your desire to dump the TBI is because you can't get performance parts for the truck. Here is one idea that I have thrown around...

Pull the motor and give it a ring and valve job as well as a Krylon overhaul. Install Rv style cam, Aluminum Intake, Headers & bigger exhaust, Throttle body spacer, Billet Distributor, Big wires, Ignition box, and Coil. AND... If I have the money... I am thinking about a ProCharger with a Nitros Fogger kit to cool the intercooler when I want really big go go power. What will this net??? Hell I don't know, but I know it will run fast.

The other idea is to just swap in a TBI BB and do some of the same stuff. Then I still have EFI and a BB. Then the world will be PERFECT!!!

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Only got remote start on my Dodge Ram! :p: Oh the laziness of electronics! lol:D

6. Arakel

Arakel Registered Member

tbi headache gone but still worried

Ok
    1. i have propane over tbi unit you know proane is cold, i sart the truck in morning gasolin and once i hit the hwy switch 2 propane

2. i have replace distributer, wires, s. plugs, fuel pump AC Delco USA new with filters 130$, Ignition module i found original GM for arround 50 $

Timing done well, also s. plugs spaced
    later my truck still was choking while accelerating and exhaust smelling raw gas, so i saw my injectors spraying unevenly gas so also my sensors could have gone bad the chocke sensor mybe

I borowed from a friend a complete used tbi unit its injectors were working fine after a week truck started to choke but not immediately after i krank when truck is really warm

I replaced my Coil 50$ and removed plug for O2 sensor

Truck is Okay even Kranks in just a second

Each injector in Egypt is 90$ and each sensor choke and tps is arround 90$

Still gasoline In Egypt is 1 $ a GALON CHEAP REALLY CHEAP

We dont have cold in winters so should i get a nice carb. with a dual plane rpm manifold for futer modifications will be nice.
    Also can i run my electrical pump with a Carb & which one to get if???

I will eleminate my propane once i put a 700R4 instead of my TH400 since i need an overdrive it will save alot of gas milage since i travel daily 100 miles

I have a feeling propane is confusing my sensors and the computer is getting confusd since my check engine goes on and off while running with propane or gas. also to run with propane the air entrance near air filter is closed to let little air in since propane needs a bit of cold air if too much it will no operate well
    Thats all what i had done

We dont have performance parts we have some spare parts stock AC Delco etcc. some items are Taiwan China Crap

Thanks guys

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dude if gas is a 1$ a gal what are you doing running propane? and yucky on 700r4s. i hate them to darn sensitive.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I believe in Egypt propane or maybe butane is cheaper still.
    I know in Lebanon (beirut) people were converting to butane to save money, butane is for house hold use and thus is backed by the government so the price is very low.
    Gas was getting in the $1 plus for the gallon.
    Now it's $2.5, most of it is tax, more than $1.5 is tax:confused: