Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FedEx Cup???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4xcrazy, Oct 29, 2006.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Heard during the race tonight, they are changing the name again next year...

This is just getting rediculous, this sponsership thing is just gettin way outta hand here lately...

We just had another local stadium renamed,,,,,, "Jobbing.com Stadium"

and the newest Cardinal stadium was named "University of Phoenix Stadium"

whatever happened to naming the stadiums after someone of importance or that did something for the community in the past,,,like a memorial,,,,whatever, just think it's rediculous...

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

That is a golf tourney they are naming, they arent changin winston.....errrrrr...nextel cup again

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

cool then, guess i should have also mentioned i was in the kitchen when i heard this, thought they were talking about the Nascar cup,

but I still think the sponsering thing is way outta control,,,

4. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sponsorship pays the bills and the teams

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Other than the Daytona 500 I havent watched a cup race all year. I dont even know who is on top on points. Used to be avid Winston cup fan. But lately I just dont care fot it much. Gets kinda booring watching them just go around in circles with no fights and rammings. Too Commercial. Too PC. Dont really miss it much. Seems like a lot of people feel the same. Hardly anyone I know watches nextell cup races regularly anymore. Even here in the lounge there always used to be many posts after races and stuff. Now hardly anyone talks about cup races.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Money , they want to make money , so they sell naming rights for money . I am sure you would want money too . Hell if I owned something like that , I'd sell naming rights too ............... then go buy lots of stuff :thumb:

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Why thank you Captain Obvious!:haha:

8. pauly383

Well , I don't understand why TJ hets all hurt over this . I don't generally like change , but Winston was leaving of their OWN ACCORD anyway .

We couldn't call it Winston Cup anymore , whether Nextel stepped in or not .

We could go back to calling the Busch series something else , and call Cup Grand National racing . But who wants to watch a non important sounding event they couldn't find sponsors for :wink1:

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I think I see Tj's point and yours at the same time. Money talks but I'm thinkin he's seeing things like Veterans Memorial Colliseum.

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Hell yeah, go to the local loops for that stuff...

11. pauly383

We already have a Veterans Memorial , and we don't use it as often as the other venues :D

It shouldn't matter to TJ anyway , he has no say , he doesn't file taxes or vote :p:

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I just think the naming of these places and such are out of control with the sponsorship, don't see why they couldn't call the stadiums an actual name of sorts, and have the sponsors name mentioned afterwards or something,,,like

(so and so stadium, sponsored by Big Fat Hairy Joes Burger Shop)

annoyed? maybe, maybe i am just used to the old days,,,(as old as they can be for me anyways) when the stadiums were named in honor of someone, or something, and now it just sounds really gay to have an arena named (Jobbing.com Arena) (University of Phoenix Stadium) they just don't sound right..
    oh well,

NEXT !! :D

13. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

what?

who gives a rats ass.

if you went to a stadium to see brittany spears take it in the rear from a 46 year old 3 legged horse, would you really care what the flippin name of the stadium was?

as for me..i would want to know the name of that horse:D

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Winston did not leave "of their OWN ACCORD" They were forced out buy federal laws banning tobacco products advertising at sporting events /products. Because of the Winston name, NASCAR could not advertise Winston cup racing at other sporting events or open up foreign markets like Canada and Europe which have even more strict laws banning tobacco advertising. It also kept theem from agressivly targeting children and teens to buy NASCAR products since nothing targeting minors could have the name "Winston" on the label.
    NASCAR felt The name "Winston Cup" was holding them back from markets it wanted to penetrate. So they forced them out.
    RJ Reynolds tobacco AKA Winston, made Cup racing and NASCAR what it is today. To thank them NASCAR threw them in the garbage heap of Political Correctness.
    As above post(s) said "its all about Money, Money, Money."

15. pauly383

Well , their own "forced" accord then :laugh:

Either way , the naming is the least of our worries , I want other things back the way they were , like values :thumb: