Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Feedback on Swamper STS's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Dec 19, 2002.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Feedback on Swamper STS\'s

I'm thinking about getting some of the new Swamper STS radials for a street truck, anybody have any info/feedback on there tires? Specifically, I'm interested in how they wear on the street (tread life, ride characteristics, etc.) but I'd love to here about all (on/off road) experiences.

2. nvrenuf

Re: Feedback on Swamper STS\'s

Nobody?

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't think they have been out long enough for anyone to have any real world feedback. I have read that they do ride quiet and have good road manners from someone over on the PBB that had the 39" size. They look pretty tough for an all terrian, looks like they would do very well in sand and maybe okay in the rocks if they are sticky. Just my .02 worth.

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Are you talking about the TrXus STS? I tested them for Interco last year before they released the Radials for sale to the public. They ride great on the highway, work awesome on solid rock and from what I have heard work well in Sand. Ask Marv Springer about his Funbuggy with the TrXus tires, he runs the dunes with it I guess. These tires work Okay in the wet mud, but in the goo that sticks, they tend to fill up the tread. I never tried to spin them in the mud so I am not sure if they clean out well. I would venture to say, they clean better than a Goodyear MTR. They do not have the "Traps" like the MTR and BFG All Terrain have. One other cool thing - I have installed these without any balance weight and driven them the 600 mile trip to Disney Oklahoma and back. They did not shake on the highway. They are very quiet for a "big tire".

Back to the mud - I did get a chance to try them out in some rutted trails at Disney. I pulled into a water filled rut which covered the tire. I turned the front wheels to full bumpstop and released the clutch and the truck climbed out of the rut. I was VERY impressed with this. I had ran Boggers before and they required mucho throttle to get out of a rut - sometimes pushing all the way through the rut.

As far as wear - I believe these tires will wear better than the traditional Swamper tire. Interco acquired M&H Racemaster and with this have many more compounds to adapt to their off-road line of tires. Im not saying they have developed a Drag Compound Rock Tire like Goodyear (cheaters /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif), just saying they have acquired knowledge of other compounds hard and soft and have implememted them into the design of this tire - giving you a longer wear. In this trip to Disney and back, the "tits" are still on the middle treads, they still measure at their factory tread depth and have not started cupping like my Boggers did.

Interco is a very sharp company. I have talked to them at length about their tires. In most cases, they are very open to new development - unlike the Corporate companies like Goodyear and BFG. What I mean is, voice your opinion to them and they will listen. Tell Goodyear to build a certain tire and they will blow you off quicker than a gnat on a mules butt. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[​IMG]

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

All I can say is there WIDE Ive seen a few people running them at the sled pulls I think they would be good tire in the sand because of how wide thery are dont look like they will dig to bad and have big side lugs. But Im not running them so I cant say my info is factual

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Good info Neil... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, I have a set of them.... and I plan on using them for mostly for sand and rocks.... but I have yet to fire the FunBuggy up, so they still sit in the garage /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif... Give me a couple of months and I hope to have the monster running.

Honestly, my first take on the tires is that the tread is gonna be a little on the conservative side for alot of people. I think they'll do great in sand, slickrock, and prolly pretty well in the rocks, but I don't think they'll ever match the more aggressive tires for mud. But, if you have a tire groover, the possibilities would be endless...!

Marv

7. nvrenuf

EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT info guys! Thank you!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif