Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

feeding lights...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dixie, Feb 28, 2005.

1. dixie

dixie Newbie

Are there any pullys that would act as overdriven for accessories instead of underdriven? Here is my reason. I have to turn up my RPMs to start my alternator putting out. It has always been this way so nothing has worn out and I can only figure that is the way the regulater is... I would also like to spin the mechanical fan as fast as possable to pull more air at low RPMs like coming out of the barn with a trailer or creeping in traffic with the AC on. I will be getting a fixed fan and doing away with the clutch so there will be no slip. Also will have a pusher fan in front. It doesn't run hot I just want the AC to work better also. Any ideas? Thanks much...gp

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

My stock 63amp alt does the same thing, everythins pretty weak at idle, but..I just got a 140amp alt and will be doin dual batteries. best thing to do is get a bigger alternator and put in some bigger gauge wiring to feed the higher amp current from the alt.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree in that a 140 amp alternator puts out about 60 amps (depending on idle speed) at idle. At least that's what mine said on the tag that came attached to it!

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  5. dixie

dixie Newbie

I'd agree with the heavier alt but I'm running a 108 amp GM alt now. Anything use a bigger crank pully?gp

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Problem with using a bigger pully is that in a round about way yer turning the alternator too high, depending on how much bigger of a pulley you use. They are only rated to go so high, if you go much past that you could risk burning something up....

ie. If a stock pulley and yer 108amp alt will turn say, 65amp at idle, changing to a bigger pulley might bump that to maybe 75amp at idle, but at a higher rpm you'll be pullin alot more amps...which could risk oveclocking it and drawing too much amps and possibloy burning something up.

I have actually considered this but sicne I have a big alt now I wont need it. Get with one of yer local Electrical shops, they can probly give you some good advice. I did opt to get my starter rebuilt for bigger amps,but I'd rather get an amp thats already rated, and not modified to run higher amps.

Plus, in the long run I will have alot more things in the truck plus a winch later this year and for a local shop to modify mine was gonna be about $100 so I said screw it and went big, save myself the trouble.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What kind of alternator are you using? IIRC, some of them REQUIRE a higher RPM before they "switch on". Mine was low at idle, rebuilding it solved the problem actually. I had another that I put an "overdrive" pulley on, and the RPM difference wasn't enough to make a difference.

There are multiple pulley sizes for the alternator, both OEM and aftermarket.

Screw mechanical fans, if your clutch one is operating correctly, it is infinitely better than a "flex fan".

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Not sure if thats for me but..East Coast Auto Electric, 140Amp, direct replacement for any GM 1 wire alternator, has same idle/amp specs just higher amperage, not a high rpm racing alt.

9. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Do a search on the 140 amp alternator here. I plow with my 85 k-10 w/elect. plow and I run heater/wipers/srobes..etc. I had a bad dimming problem and got worse when I loaded it up with the plow. I even got one of those junk POS kits from alternator parts.com to juice up the stock alternator. Save your money and do it once with an alternator from a pontiac transport van with rear air conditioning. Best thing I ever did to the truck. Both upper/lower alternator bracket needs some mods. and the hole relocated in the upper bracket as well.

T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com