Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Feeling Dumb for asking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drop the hammer, Feb 13, 2007.

1. drop the hammer

drop the hammer 1/2 ton status

I am gonna be converting my 83 K-5's 700R4 208 combo to a 465 205 combo out of an 80 1 ton. The 205 has the fixed yoke conversion and my question is, and even though I should know, is since there is no more slip yoke, where is the slippage gonna come from for suspention flex? I am sure its from the drive shaft but I havent seen it done in person. Would love to see pics cause I'm a visual guy. Also I see alota 350 and 400 to 465 swap info but nothing for a 700R4 to 465 swap. Anyone done this? and what issues\problems did you run into? Any help is appreciated

2. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

there will be a slip yoke in the driveshaft. you'll have to go to a junk yard and find a slip yoked driveshaft out of a blazer with the combo you want or find one and have it shortened if it needs it. most ppl want the overdrive of the 700, that's why they keep it. but it would be the same swap.

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

think of it this way, the rear driveshaft will be like the front shaft (slip in the shaft), minus the flange at the t-case ;)

4. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

Where in Mass are you? I swapped a 700r4 for a manual 4 spd w/ overdrive. The bellhousing and the clutch linkage are the same as the 465 though.
    Putting the tranny in was easy, worst was setting up the clutch pedal, but that wasn't too bad. On the CK5 home page under technical articles theres info on a swap to a 465. Check that out. Dont follow what he did for the clutch pedal though if you have a hydro set up, it will never line up right. He says its done but you see his master cylinder sitting on the floor and after seeing how he put the pedal in there it will never line up with the factory slots on the firewall for the master cylinder. Maybe he put it somewhere else but he just made more work for himself. I dont know if the 465 205 set up is shorter but if it is driveshaft lengths might be an issue. My 4spd w/ a 208 was the same length as the 700r4/208 so d-shafts were not an issue. I could even use the same holes on the frame for the cross-member on the t-case.

5. drop the hammer

I am unfortunatley on the cape were there is nothing but sand and no legal trails that I know of.

6. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

Do they still give permits to drive on the beaches??? There were a few trails and a pit near Harwich when i used to stay down there.

7. drop the hammer

yeah there is still one or two beaches but as far as I know they a big rip off and dont feel like paying for a beach permit just to beach cruise, i wanna tear some mud up