Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Feeling good that I helped N.O. tonight.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Storm Trooper, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    As bad as things are for everyone down in New Orleans, I'm feeling pretty dam good I did something to help them tonight.
    I was listening on the local radio today that a couple of guys from our area rented a U-haul and were heading down in the morning to help the people down there.
    They were asking for donations of almost any kind to help the people.
    I may seem like a tough guy some of the time but it just F'ing trears me up to hear about all the people that lost everything they worked for all there lives and are now sitting on some bridge with little or no hope at all :( .
    Everytime I talk to someone about it I get all choked up and can hardly speak.
    Even as I type this, my eyes are watering.
    Do I know these people? No.
    Do I think they would help me if I was down? I doubt it.
    It really doesn't matter to me. I just hate to see such a thing happen and I'm hoping that it will atleast wake up some of them to know that there is people out there that do care ........... and can cry for there pain.
    As for the guys going down there to help, I thought I could do something to help and even if it just helped a few, it would still help.
    When I got home from work, I told the wife about it and said that I wanted to do something NOW.
    I went through my closet and cleaned out a ton of clothes in 10min. (it blew my wife away :grin: )
    I went to my barn and pulled out a 10 person tent, two coleman stoves, a lantern, a hammock, two sleeping bags and three coolers.
    Then I went down to the hardware store and bought every tarp they had in stock.
    We filled up my van with tons of stuff and went to see the guys.
    I felt so good that I totally blew them away.
    Then I wiped out my wallet and gave them $100 for gas.
    They were so happy and so was I. It put a little smile on my face as I drove away. I know that there has been times before that I really wanted to help but just couldn't swing it. I'm really glad I could this time and hope that some of you out there will find it in your hearts to do anything you can to help our fellow Americans in this great time of need.
    If you can't, I totally understand, I've been there.
    If your like me, it will at least dry your eyes for a moment and maybe even put that little smile on your face too.
    Just remember that something as small as a little $5 tarp could be a big deal to you if you were out in the sun or rain with nowhere to go.
    Dam I feel lucky.

I also feel like what goes around, comes around.
    It's worked for me. I have always tried to help who I could, cut people breaks and just took care of people as I could.
    Because of it, as Greg72 said,
    "You live a charmed life"
    I think he is completly right.................

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Your a good man Dave :thumb: I better talk to the Wife and see what We can give. I guess the Red Cross is the best bet at this time.
    I also think that the City's Of Baton Rouge and Houston are doing a hell of a job.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thats cool man, i can only immagine the pain those people are going through, just think, it could have been us that happened too. :crazy: Thats a cool thing to do man, bravo. :bow:

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hate too say this, but with all the corruption and what nots, it's hard too trust any charitys. I want too know that what I give will make it to the people in need. With that being said, is there anyone in the area with a pay-pal account that would be willing too pass out sanwichs, and bottles of water if any of us wanted too donate ???

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

That's awsome, man! It does feel good to help people when you can. Both my parents were very giving people, it's the only way I know really. What's going on down there is at such a magnatude I don't think we even know how bad it is yet.. and it's probably already the worst I've ever seen or heard of.

I could not believe my eyes when I saw the video of the elderly lady sitting there outside the convention center, dead in her wheelchair, just pushed over to the side and covered up. :( I just can't fathom it. When we were flooded in 98 it was bad .. but it was a little easier to get any help you needed because you still knew plenty of people who were not effected. With a whole city nealry wiped out .. it's just taking so long to get help to people. That's not to mention the civil unrest that's taking place.

In this situation, they could never get enough help from everyone.

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Good on you Dave, glad to hear you could help out :waytogo: , you don't seem like a tough guy to me :confused:

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dave makes me proud..... :thumb:

I have mixed feelings about the leaders who say "please send money". Giving control to a bureaucratic government is not the fastest way to deploy help in a time of crisis.

I see Dave's story as an example of the Built Not Bought mentality, applied in a crisis situation....a mindset that says "I will do something myself" and not wait around for someone else to step up.

Dave, I applaud you... once again, I feel supremely proud to be a part of this CK5 family. :usaflag:

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I understand what your saying. Sending money maybe a good way to help if you know where it's going but I don't think I would trust some guy down in the area with a pay-pal account. If I was going to just do a cash donation, I would maybe send it to the Redcross.
    This was different, the guys live here and I not only saw the truck loaded with supplies but I know where they live if they don't do what they said :deal: .
    I don't really trust the government either.

Oops! My wife just read this and said that I wrote TRAPS instead of Tarps! :haha: :haha: :haha:
    Umm, I hope they really don't need any traps :D

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The donations from private individuals are the only thing feeding and helping right now. The government, after three days, is still basically absent. What you did will absolutely help and as a resident of La. closer than I am comfortable with, thankk you.

As a side note, they do need traps. Baited with oxycontin and big screen TV's. :mad:

10. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I think any help is commendable no matter how small it is, even if its prayers. My parents actually called me last night to let me know they cancelled their vacation this month because they didn't feel right about going on vacation when things like this are happening so they called the local news station doing a telethon and donated the $3000 :bow: they were planning on spending, They had also put a non refundable deposit down on the cabin they were going to stay in and the owner said he would donate it also when they told him why they were cancelling. I wish I could do the same :( My mom (since she is retired) is going to volunteer at the hospital when some of the refugees arrive. :D

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

12. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Awesome :thumb: I gave $25 to the Red Cross. That's all I really can afford right now. I know exactly what you mean though. I was walking into a Burger King in SA and this man was outside asking for money to get food. I told him to hang on a sec, and got him the largest combo they had (Double meat, king size) and gave it to him. Never seen anybody so happy before. That kind of stuff is, exactly, when you drive off with a huge smile on your face. :D