Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fel pro head gaskets price, 30 to 40 bucks a pieces, WTF ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, May 24, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what the hell happeend to the fel pro head gaskets prices

omg they skyrocketed

what the hell ?

theyre freaking 30 or 40 bucks a piece now!

thats insane....

they used to be super cheap..

im pissed!

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Welcome to the real world!!

Yup--nothing is cheap anymore!--I recently screwed myself when I told a guy I'd put heads on his motor for him--told him the head gasket set should cost about 40 bucks--WRONG!!--even at auto zone,a "head set" was nearly 100 bucks! :eek1: :eek: :blush: --and I told him I'd throw the heads on for a hundred bucks including the head set! :doah: :what: ---

He wasn't very happy when I told him I could not do it for the price I originally gave him--so I did the job for 25 bucks,just so he could get his truck going as a favor...I'm a lot more careful about throwing a price out for any work now--I always call and price the parts first now--never had to in years past,prices stayed about the same for a long time...now they are climbing almost daily..and it pays to shop around--I ended up buying the gaskets at a "real" parts store I used to work at--suprisingly,they sold me the gaskets for 75 and change,and they aren't exactly noted for their bargain prices there!--

I guess the competition from the "zone" is making them give better prices to the "average Joe's" so they wont lose ALL their sales to the competition..For the most part,Auto Zone is the cheapest as far as price--but you get what you pay for there too--some of their parts are China and Mexico crap--but I've bought the same stuff at higher prices elsewhere too..pays to call around,check the price,and ask where its made before buying... :crazy:

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

According to Jegs website, there is an economy version of Fel-Pro gaskets and a standard or performance version.

Economy is about $14, standard is $32+.

4. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

for that price you might as well buy a whole damn gasket kit...I got some brand new head gaskets from GM for sbc i think for like 25 or so a piece... dont need em anymore either...

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Last month I bought all FELPRO gaskets: perma-torque head gaskets (2), intake gasket, exhaust gaskets, and cork valve cover gaskets from Bumper to Bumper....total cost was $67. I guess I got a better deal than I thought.

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

FelPro wire lock gaskets for the O ringed heads on my 68 Mustang are $70+ each! :D

OUCH! :p:

7. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i just picked up a complete fel-pro set for a 79 350 from auto zone for a whoping $36.50

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

good score, thats a 60 some dollar set here

hum

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Be wary of Autozone...

I have to be careful when I buy stuff at Autozone--I learned the hard way not all thier stores charge the same prices!..one 1/2 a mile away in Raynham sells parts for much less than another Autozone in Middleboro 5 miles away does!..
    .I'm talking 20+ dollars or more on altenators,brake rotors,etc..same parts and brands too!..my friend who runs his own repair shop learned the hard way too--now he drives the 5 miles to the Raynham store to buy most of his parts--and his shop is less than a mile from the Middleboro store....they must be independently owned or something... :confused:

Like I said in my last post--their parts are not always the greatest,nor are their prices...I've bought moog ball joints from a "regular" jobber store cheaper than Autozones "Valuecraft" hencho en mexico ones....I only buy there now if its a name brand part,like Fel-Pro gaskets,and the price is less than the "regular" parts stores...I avoid their starters too--but their altenators are usually much cheaper than other places,and seem to hold up OK.. :crazy:

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

with enough copper spray, three types of RTV, and indian head shellac, any gasket set can be made to be better than fel-pro (although with rtv there is such a thing as too much of a good thing)

11. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

head gaskets are over rated any way

12. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

see if you can get one of felpros ks sets. They are just a white box for engine rebuilders. Same gaskets just alot cheaper. Should be a part number KS2600.

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Your local AutoZone:
    1206 WOODLAWN RD
    LINCOLN, IL 62656
    (217)732-3199

---------------------------------------------------

ENGINE GASKET KIT for a
    1979 CHEVROLET TRUCK K10 1/2 TON P/U 4WD

FELPRO KS2600 $31.99

----------------------------------------------------

HEAD GASKET for a
    1979 CHEVROLET TRUCK K10 1/2 TON P/U 4WD

FELPRO
    2 REQUIRED 7733PT-2 $12.99

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

that aint what they told me over the phone

lol

like 32 bucks they said

hum

i dunno what the deal is,,

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

On the website they also had more expensive ones listed, maybe the guy on the phone didn't read far enough down on his screen?